F450 problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F450 problems

At work i use a 2006 f450. When i go to start it takes 10-15 seconds to start and sometimes when its warmed up it will take several tries before it will start. Maybe a high pressure oil leak? I plugged my livewire ts to it and it didnt have any codes. Once it does start and you put it in drive it runs rough. Its really sluggish on take off. The ficm drops to 36v when starting it then slowly builds back to 47-48 volts and drops to 46 every now and again. Its got new batteries and a new alternator. I think the oil cooler is starting to clog. It takes the truck forever to warm up. My ects ran between 196 and 206 and my eol temps ran between 205 and 211. The highest delta i saw was 13 and that was only for a minute. It stayed around a 8 delta. Does the truck need a new ficm and oil cooler?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil cooler may be ok what is the ECT once up to operating temps down a close to level highway? You should be seeing 194 +or- a few degrees that is of coarse unloaded.
The majic number is 15 degrees above the coolant temps on level ground at 65 mph empty, that is when you need a new one.

Odds are very very good the hard starting issue you are having is your FICM. Whenever I see hard starting followed by I have a new alternator and batteries it's a no brainer.lol
The first thing that gets destroyed from low voltage is the FICM, it has a DC/DC converter for the power supply it takes 12 volts and runs it up to 48 volts for the injectors. When it drops below 12 volts the power supply board makes too much heat and it desolders itself usually at the 4 (Dale .0075 resistors).

The connections get bad enough where it cant make the power anymore, if you are handy with electronics you can repair it yourself with a good pencil type soldering iron.
If not handy lol, go with: Ficmrepair.com he will fix you up........

If you put a scangauge on the truck to check the ICP pressures as well as the IPR values to see how the hpo system is doing to rule out any hpo problem. But 36 volts will cause all kinds of starting issues.
Good Luck with it..........

Last edited by mhatlen; 03-06-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.