Hard start all temps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard start all temps

I have an 06 6.0L that has recently started giving me fits. The truck starts, but only after cranking for 15 + seconds which it did not do until a week ago. I initially thought it may be the FICM again, so I checked it and it never dropped below 47 volts either in start or cranking. I then checked the glow plugs at the harness and they were all consistant at about 0.5 ohms. I have no codes when I hook up the scan tool. I then tested the batteries and they were weak, so I replaced them. This helped a little, but the issue still exists. I then went back and started checking again when I noticed the fuel pressure regulator leaking. I ordered the kit for it and fixed the leak (as well as installed the new blue spring). The problem again got a little better, but is still not right. I've basically moved from near no start to 15 seconds of cranking to start either hot or cold. I'm considering replacing the o-rings on the dummy plugs next as a shot in the dark (don't have the means to read the sensors), but want to get some additional input. I don't have alot of time due to my next haul being in about a week and no time off in between (have to work on it in the evenings). Any clues here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Go to Auto Zone and pick up a ScanGaugeII they cost $160.00 it will read everything the pcm sees.
Set it up to read the:
ICP injector control pressure
IPR injector pressure regulator

A healthy hpo system will be 585+ on ICP and in the 20-30 on the IPR during crank.
Since the truck is startable at idle you should be ICP 585 ish at idle and 21ish IPR Ford says anything above 30 IPR is hpo leak that is in need of repair.

I have all the PID,s for the scangauge for the 6.0 if you need them.
Btw the scangauge can be left plugged in and you can moniter all the engine values oil temp/coolant temp/ficm voltage/egr/turbo boost/ on and on again it will monitor everything the trucks computer does. Best scan tool for the money by a long shot..........
Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Please send me the codes for the Scangauge II if you can. I may have to break down and buy one when I go to return some cores to AutoZone tomorrow. It seems like a pretty decent tool for the price, not what I wanted to spend my money on right now, but worth getting the truck fixed.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:59 PM

Here you go, to be honest I was a bit unsure when I bought mine but once I saw what it can do I was happy I did. Was honestly without a doubt the best money I have ever spent on the truck!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ScanGauge II Programing EDITED.pdf (187.4 KB, 97 views)
Old 03-07-2013, 04:01 AM
Run in to my fist!

Mhatlen, did you get those parameters from Ficmrepair.com's website? I didnt do a sideXside comparison but if you didn't, maybe his numbers are good vs. the numbers you have that arent working???
Old 03-07-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelaiman View Post
Mhatlen, did you get those parameters from Ficmrepair.com's website? I didnt do a sideXside comparison but if you didn't, maybe his numbers are good vs. the numbers you have that arent working???
Yea Ed gave them to me himself, he said if you would have had a scangauge he wouldn't have been able to joust you for $400.00 bucks.

WTH.........

Last edited by mhatlen; 03-07-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.