Turbo "groan" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo "groan"

Hi y'all. New member, and in need of some quick help if possible.

I have an '07 350. Everything is stock under the hood. I took it in to the dealer for some seal leaks, ball joint replacement, and rear brakes.

I also reported a gear whine/groan sound. It pitches up with an increase in RPM and down with a decrease in RPM, exactly as you would expect gear noise to do. They're telling me it's the turbo and want to put in a whole new turbo. I have a couple of problems with this. First, they didn't tell me what was causing the whine/groan in the "bad" turbo. Second, the bad lower ball joints are really bad on the passenger side and I can hear the awful noise and feel it in the brake pedal, but the dealer is trying to tell me that the turbo whine/groan ramps up during turns and that's part of the noise I hear during turns.

I don't know that I buy that. Particularly since I haven't noticed any difference in the groan on left turns. And only the ball joint sound of destruction on right turns. Here is a direct quote from the dealer email:

Quote:
Turbocharger is making noise, may be some of the groaning you hear on turns. Traditionally an excessively loud turbo makes noise no matter if driving straight or turning but something in the throttle to rpm ratio is creating more noise on turns.
I questioned her about identifying the cause and not just telling me it was noisy, and this is the response:
Quote:
The moan could be a sign of a future failure but right now it is simply a noise associated with rpm's and generated thru the turbo.
To her credit, she suggested just monitoring for now, which given the cost of the other stuff I will probably HAVE to do. But my question is this: what would be causing the groan/whine? And why can't the dealer be any more specific about this?

I searched past threads, but aside from an EGR valve plate not being torqued down or leaks in the system, I didn't see anything that struck a chord with me as being similar based on noise/circumstances. (Granted, mechanical issues problem solving is not my forte.) At any rate, is it unrealistic to assume the tech would have done an leak test to rule that out?

When I have more time to search old threads tonight, I'm going to dig deeper, but if anybody has any ideas, thoughts, etc to share, I would appreciate it very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sounds suspect to me, turbo RPMs and engine rpms do not always conincide. However changing noise with RPMs and noise when turning makes me think power steering pump. This also powers the brake booster.

Do you hear the groan at idle? If so, step hard on the brakes. Does the groan change? If so, you have a bad steering pump or hydro boost unit.

The Ford pumps are known to be pretty noisy.

MikeB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.