Major water leak! Coming from rear end of engine? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Major water leak! Coming from rear end of engine?

Hi,

I have looked at all the other threads and can't find any that resolve my issue.

To start off, I have a 2004, F-250, 4 door, FX4 Lariat, 6.0L. At 124,000 miles the oil cooler and egr cooler went out. Let's back up a few thousand miles for a second. Me and my dad where hauling produce from AL/NC to south FL. We noticed that when we first started hauling that the truck was using coolant when towing 18K of tomatoes. So we kept an eye on it at every fuel stop and would replace any that was missing. Well, we went on for about 6 weeks with no problems, until one night, all hell broke out. Steam from the exhaust, missing, low power, and all the other things that happens when that happens. Anyways, we got it back to our Ford stealership and they looked at it and said that that was what happened (we thought a head gasket). After they fixed it, nor before, they never mentioned a finding a leak.

So, with that being said, they fixed it (over 3K). As soon as we got it home (5 mi), I opened up the hood and there was antifreeze everywhere! I was mad! Come to find out, dumb *** forgot to put the clamp back on the radiator hose and that's where it came from. All is well? Ha, not hardly. a week or so later, out of curiosity, I pop the hood to find that the coolant level is down again. We are still hauling at this point, so I didn't think to much about it. We also cut our load size back to about 14-15K after the repair. However, we pulled up to the guy's place to load up, and I notice water dripping down from underneath the truck, like it does when you run an a/c. But, with it being a beautiful 60 degrees outside in AL, we had no a/c running, none at all for the past 12 hours of our trip. And this was happening on an empty load. The trailer only weighs 3,900 lbs. Not really a load for a power stroke? So, at that point, we knew is was something more. But we could not afford to take it back to Ford and have them work on it because we had to have our truck to haul.

So after we got down with the hauling, we started trying to pin point the leak. We have two spots that it can be coming from. #1 is that there is a blue hose running into the top of the engine, towards the rear, right under the turbo. The hose looks like it is swollen some, but with the truck running, there is no visible water coming from it. The only thing that I see is a little water on top of the manifold. #2 So I start tracing the water from underneath and if you look closely, on the passenger side of the engine, at the very rear of it, it looks like there is a piece that comes off? and there is a seal. Well, at the top of this seal. You can see water beeding up and running down the engine. The reason I say it could be this seal, it that there is a rust stain on the engine piece. Also, it is now using a ton of water. I mean a ton as in, I drive around town and use a 1/4 tank of fuel, and it takes a gallon or more to fill it up to where it should be.

If Ford had to replace the oil cooler and the egr cooler, did they have to remove this piece that I am talking about? And if so, I still have a little bit of mileage left on the 12 month or 12K mile repair warranty which covers the repair. If not, can someone point me in the direction that I need to go to get this fixed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 05:15 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Welcome to the ORG...someone will be able to help ya i'm sure.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

And this is only one of a few problems that I am having. I also have horrible decline in MPG which just started not too long ago. Also, automatic tranny is making a "my power steering pump is low on fluid) sound.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:20 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Put some power steering fluid fluid in it maybe!

lol...just kidding.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
Put some power steering fluid fluid in it maybe!

lol...just kidding.
That's what I forgot to do to it! I wish that would fix it. I am getting ready to post on it also. Thank you for the warm welcome!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UPDATE! I just got to looking, what I was talking about at the rear of the engine, where is looked like water is beeding up and coming out. That is the very top of the transmission. It can't possibly come from there can it?
Old 01-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here are some pics that I just took of the area I am talking about. Also, what is up with all the oil and stuff around the pipes and on the engine? It only started happening after I had the stuff repaired by Ford. There was a little oil on the pipes, But not fresh oil. I have more pics if anyone needs them. Also, notice that my reservoir is almost completely empty? I just filled it up yesterday! I have only driven probably 45-50 miles.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Old 01-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also, you can see that there is a lot of rust around the blue hose. Also there is a lot in the tank as well, mixed with old oil from the repair. I know the rust can't be good for it, I need to know how to get this fixed before I end of replacing an engine.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi everyone,

I found the leak today. It is coming from the blue hose. Now the question is this? What is that hosed called, where can I buy it, and how hard is it to replace it? It looks like I can take the turbo off and get to it? But there is a metal plate that it runs under and I can't tell if that plate is attached to the engine or what? Any help will be very appreciated! Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.