Help please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help please

I've read almost every post about no start issues on the 6.0 but still can't figure out why my normally great running '06 F250 PSD won't start. FICM had low voltage so it's been replaced. ICP showed zero so I unplugged it and got 1600+ psi. Replaced ICP sensor and I get 40-55psi cranking now. I read about IPR causing no start but don't know what that is. Where is it located and how bad is it to change? HPOP or STC fitting on pump? It's a stock truck. Thanks! I'm a diesel newb and appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Help please

Your IPR is in the HPOP cover, under the turbo on the driver's side of the engine. It has a foil heat shield cover on it. It can be replaced with the turbo on. If the screen on the end of it is torn you will also need to go into the HPOP reservoir and check that screen for damage. If not you run the risk of your HPOP sending a chunk of something into your new IPR.

You can also have a high pressure oil leak at a stand pipe or dummy plug which are in the oil rails under the valve covers. You can also have a bad STC fitting which is on the HPOP.

What is your mileage and has there been any major work recently?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-04-2013, 02:56 AM

Sargar, It's got 152,000 miles. No major work. Oil and filter changed 1,000 miles ago. Drove it all day then next time it started and died immediately three times and ain't hit once since. It's really been running great with no issues at all. Only codes I get are number 3&5 glow plugs with check engine light. Still it had been starting ok. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 AM
Premium Member

With your mileage and no recent work it is a guessing game without more info. Ford did update the stand pipes and dummy plugs with teflon washers to prevent the o-rings from wearing. I've replaced pipes and plugs in the mid 150s for a torn o-ring. I've also had an 05 towed in, mid 150s with a bad IPR.

Do you do or want to do your own work or is a local shop an option?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:58 AM

There isn't a shop close to my location so the tow bill would be a couple hundred bucks. IPR is something I'd do myself. I'd probably do the hpop/stc too but if the IPR fixes it I'd prob have shop bulletproof it with ARP head studs, new hpop, oil rails, EGR delete, turbo refurb kit, etc. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

Let me know what you find.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 AM

First I'm going to check the fuel pump/conditioner. I'd let the fuel get down to 1/4 tank the day I last drove it. I've added fuel since then. The FICM tested low volts so it was replaced. ICP sensor replaced. ICP tests low about 40-55. Batts are new 850 CCH and kept on smart charger. I took fuel filter cap off had some fuel in the bowl about half. I can hear a pump running but it seems to run much longer than it used to. Plastic tank.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

With the cap off of the fuel filter will it fill the filter housing when you turn the key on?

ICP being that low I don't think it will ever start. I think it needs 500 psi to operate/turn on (that's a bad phrase but you know what I mean) the injectors.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 AM

529 ICP minimum for starting. 600-650 at idle.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes, the upper filter bowl should fill with fuel when you cycle the key to on. It should fill rather quickly so be careful, or you'll have a nice mess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.