WTF issues..............EOT & ECT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tsteel
WTF issues..............EOT & ECT

Ok been awhile since ive been on here so Ill give details of the truck then what issues Im having.

2003 f250 4wd auto with Sinister EGR Delete, Straight 4" turbo back, SCT tuner.

Ok when its below 50*F outside and running heater truck has a hell of a time getting warm and gauge sits on cold mark. If pulling my 24' enclosed with my daughters jr dragster and mule it will get alittle warmer but not much. Also coolant seemed to be puking out of degas bottle so put a new cap on.

Now when about 70*F with A/C on truck will get to normal operating temps on highway.

Pulled codes and only thing I see is #2 injector is in need of replacing.

Pressurized cooling system to 20 psi and it held for 3 hours with no fluctuating.

Used the SCT and monitored the EOT and ECT and they ECT got up to 150*F today with A/C on and EOT was 212*F at same time.

My question is can I be having an issue with the oil cooler? Or is there another issue im not considering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 07:59 PM

Sounds like a stuck open thermostat and a failing oil cooler.

Normal ECT should be 192. If yours won't heat up, it is probably stuck open. Your ECT/EOT delta is not going to get any better when the coolant temperature goes up to normal (won't likely be any worse), but is is way high of a delta.

One thing to do first would be to check the ECT and EOT against the ambient air temperature after the truck has sat all night to be sure the sensors are giving you good info. I am suspicious of the ECT reading and the ECT/EOT delta of 62F. That may be a new record! Could just be a bad sensor....

MikeB
Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 AM

Yup gotta agree with that.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have similar readings from a SG2, ect=188-192F but my eot is upwards of 215F and under some heavier loads can go to 225F. I performed a EGR delete on my 2003 6.0L about two years ago but only started to look at the operating numbers since I bought a scangauge.....Wouldn't the EGR delete lower the ECT since you are not sucking heat off the exhaust??.....The EGR delete literature stated it would lower egt which in turn would lower the ect....but I can't see that eot should really change if the heat exchange remains constant in the oil cooler??? This would create the unusually large delta.

Last edited by FarmerDave; 03-04-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:40 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
oil cooler may be fine. without coolant circulating correctly the oil may not be getting cooled. replace the thermostat and go from there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.