05 6.0 Powerless at low RPM, boost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 6.0 Powerless at low RPM, boost

I have a friend who traded in his 2000 7.3 6-speed for an 05 6.0 6-speed. He regrets doing it. The 7.3 was chipped and piped and had more power than he ever needed. The tires would break traction on a dirt road at 60 mph. The 6.0 is a gutless POS. When I drove it I noticed there was absolutely no power at low boost / rpm. When the boost reached about 15psi it would take off like a rocket. It's almost as if you're starting out in 3rd gear. His thoughts are it might be the oversized 35" tires causing the gutlessness. I am trying to convince him there is something wrong with the truck. He uses the truck to tow a gooseneck trailer and a fifthwheel trailer. It's all he can do to get the truck to start moving with the trailer on, let alone haul it up the canyon.
Last week the truck would not even pull an atv trailer without stalling out.
Has any experienced this type of problem? He's been threatening to buy a Dodge... I'd like to prevent that.
Thanks
Hammerd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 06:36 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Should have stuck with the 7.3 hehehe. Nah, just kidding, a 6.0 guru should be along with you soon. Oh, welcome to the ORG!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:54 PM

Big time turbo lag with the 6.0. I bought the super chips 1805 tuner & with the tow proformance tune towing my 8000 lb trailer it helped out a lot in my 04'. Also the dealer had to clean out the intake due to a large amount of soot & carbon build up. Another one of the problems with the 6.0, well that made a huge difference also. The tire size dosent help neather, i have 33" on mine.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:57 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

if the turbo lag seems excessive , then the turbo is very possibly sticking and need to be cleaned or even replaced , if its under 100,000 miles , tell him to take it in and have it checked
Old 01-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Hammerd, Tire size has absolutly nothing to do with the gutless wonder hes driving because I have one with the org. tires on. My truck is the exact same way, you described to a "T" what my truck is like. I will be taking my truck in to the dealer and have them look at it again with a list of things I learned on this site. I love the truck but hate the manual/6.0 combination.

Tell your buddy hes not alone!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

LMAO, i bet my truck would brake my big azz tires loose on a dirt road going 60 also!!

the 6.0 needs higher RPMS to get the boost opened up then all hell breaks loose, but the turbo could need looked at..

how many miles?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

not very many people have a 6 speed, they are hard to find...there are about 6-8 trucks on this forum that in know of out of 20K plus reg members
Old 01-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strőkër~X View Post
not very many people have a 6 speed, they are hard to find...there are about 6-8 trucks on this forum that in know of out of 20K plus reg members
Theres a reason for that, they SUCK with the 6sp. ! Yeah they have to be reved to get into the powerband but you have to get there first. My driving style is to not drive hard and shift at around 1800 rpm but the 6.0 needs to be higher and its hard to break a habit. The extra $1500 for the automatic would have been well, well, well, did I say well worth it!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:58 PM

Ya, the turbo had to be replaced on mine when it was in for the soot build up. i was told not to let the engine idle for long periods of time. What a joke. All deisels i know of are running all the time. I plow with mine & i let it run all night during a storm. but the dealer said that its a common problem with the 6.0 psd. I have an early 04' that had 58000 on it 13 months ago. The day i picked it up the check engine lite came on, pluged egr & new turbo with in the next 2 weeks. Then head studs, egr cooler, oil cooler, fuel controller, injectors the list goes on and on over the next 12 months. Oh and i almost forgot the 3 diferent wire harneses on the engine also. But i love the power!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

Killer Ken, Sounds like you have a new truck again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.