Help! Cranking No Start... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Help! Cranking No Start...

Hi, I am a newbie to PS.org and to owning a diesel. I have had the truck exactly one month and already had to do cyl 6 glow plug. I got the truck back the other day and shut it off in my driveway. (i had under a 1/4 tank of fuel). I went to start it up and I cranked it a good amount and a few times. Called the dealer i bought it from and finally figured out it needed more fuel. I added 5 gallons and then cranked it and it finally started. went right to the gas station and filled it up. went to work for 8 hours, came out, truck started fine. came home, parked it over night and started it again, everything worked fine, drove probably 20 miles, still no issues. This morning i go and start it, and it starts i drove down the road to the local coffee shop. left it idling when i came out it was running really rough, i got in, went to drive down the street and there was no power, i made it about 200 ft and had to stop, and it died. Tried to turn it over a few times with no results. decided to tow it home so i can get a look at it. no codes at all. using a diablosport as a scan tool and not a tuner. theres no tunes on the truck. i thought it might be gelled fuel or the filters might be clogged, i changed the fuel filters and tried some diesel 911 additive. Both didnt work.

soooo i am at a loss, i am outside my mass lemon law used car warranty by 1 day.

From reading all threads i am thinking FICM? Or the ICP sensor? I am hoping not the HPOP.

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Run in to my fist!

Have you checked your fuel pressure. Coincidentally there is a recent thread goin now bout fuel below 1/4 tank and ended up cooking the fuel pump.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Help! Cranking No Start...

I haven't, what's the easiest way to check it? Take off the upper fuel cap and cycle the engine?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Run in to my fist!

Pull the upper cap see if theres anything in it. If its empty, then your pump is most likey the culprit. The injectors will actually siphon fuel if the pump quits, thats why it will go empty. This however can ruin injectors, so until you are absolutely sure there is fuel pressure dont try to run the truck. While the cap is off, you can cycle the key to on and watch for the bowl to fill, it should fill pretty quickly so be careful or you will have a nice mess. The other alternative is to remove the button plug next to the regulator, get your self a metric X npt adapter and put a gauge on it. Fuel pressure is one of the more important gauges to have on this engine so.... I think the adapter you need to go that route is 12mm X1.5 X 1/8". Or you get a new billet filter cap that is ready to accept gauge tubing
Old 03-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
If the pressuer checks out. A bad egr valve will cause this or weak Ficm. You can you tube how to check the Ficm but if your egr valve is stuck it will run like crap even shut off and I want throw a code. Just a thought. You need a monitor for icp readings and Ficm. Batteries can take out ficms, when was the last time you load tested batteries.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The batteries are a possibility, although they are dated 11/11. They have since died from trying to start it. The egr was replaced around 10k ago according to the used dealer I got it from. Do you think a wire could have chaffed during the glow plug fix last week?
Don't know if I'll get much done today on it. It's snowing today 😡
After one of the tries yesterday it gave me this code.
Help! Cranking No Start...-imageuploadedbyag-free1362312319.519281.jpg

Old 03-03-2013, 04:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh also, when I pulled the drain plug on the hfcm, half of the plug has rust on it, could that be an issue?

Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: pulled the top off the upper fuel filter housing, the bowl was dry, I turned the key on and the bowl didn't fill up. So does that mean it's the fuel pump???

Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Run in to my fist!

That most likely means your pump is toast. Pulling the drain plug and seeing rust is common. That is where water separated from the fuel is collected. It also tends to gather a lot of corrosion. Either replace just the pump, remove the cover and clean the water collection area and water in fuel sensor, or replace the whole HFCM.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Run in to my fist!

Or the fuel pick up is damaged in some way. Steal tank or plastic tank. There is a TSB about the liner in steel tanks coming apart and clogging the pick up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.