New rough idle in park and driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New rough idle in park and driving

Hey guys I'm pretty new to the forum and to diesels. I just picked up an 05 f350 6.0 with 114k(love this beast) and noticed after it warms up, it will idle roughly stopped at a light. Also at around 1700-2000 rpms the throttle surges and dies, but just barely noticeable. I took it to shucks auto and used a Innova scanner and it pulled up 6 codes:
P0113-Intake air temp sensor 1 circuit high input
P0403-EGR control circuit
P0405-EGR Sensor A circuit low
P1464-A/C Demand out of self test range
P1408-EGR Flow out of self test range
P1780-O/D cancel circuit
I'm not worried about the o/d circuit bc youre supposed to push it while test is underway and i didn't. The egr concerns me a little bit but the truck is stock. I doubt anybody prior has cleaned out or replaced egr valve(I plan on looking at it this sunday). I had already done some research and was going to do the egr delete, oil cooler replacement, coolant flush, sct tune. Was also thinking about replacing the ICP bc that seems to be a culprit in cases like these often, and it's only 100$. So hopefully that'll get rid of the egr stuff(and possibly the rough idle). Like I said I'm new to these diesels I'm curious about troubleshooting the intake air temp sensor, and the AC demand. Does it sound like I'm leaning in the right direction? Any suggestions would be appreciated on ANY of these topics. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also I don't know and can't find boost specs per rpm but it will only build 15 psi at the most!! And if I run it hard it will make a screaming noise sounds like where the turbo is.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Screaming is not good. A hissing sound is an exhaust leak. Screaming sounds like turbine to housing interference. Pull the air inlet and see if there is excessive end play or side play (or contact with housing) of the compressor wheel.

Low boost can also be caused by stuck VGT vanes, exhaust leaks, or a stuck open EGR, or a bad turbo. The first three are pretty much free to check for, just need to get the hands dirty...

MikeB
Old 03-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Take out your egr valve and clean it also look closely at the o-rings for any nicks.
Clean out the egr bore with a vacuum and grease up o-rings and reinstall.
A plugged up egr valve will do exactly what is going on with codes rough running and low boost. Do that and see how it runs after a good cleaning., also using a fuel treatment like diesel kleen will keep the egr much cleaner.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok thanks guys. Yea those are pretty easy fixes and hopefully ill figure it out. I checked it out at work and didnt see anything suspicious around the turbo but ill just pull it off and clean out the egr. Also i have been running antigel/lube/cleaner in every tank of fuel being in Alaska and everything a guy has to when its cold!! Ill let you know how it goes.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so after a diagnostic my fuel injector #3 is bad, bummer, so ill have to change that. But one's not too bad! Also I think im going to change out my left side boost tube it looks pretty rough and probably has a hole. I'll post the progress after i've done these things. Also just installed sinister egr delete, so no more egr cleaning.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After a Sinister egr delete still had problems but i knew an injector was bad. One fuel injector later problem solved. Drives smooth and the power is def back. Might be a leak in the left side boost tube. Im going to change that just bc and be on my way. Thanks again guys for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.