06 6.0 won't start when hot - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 6.0 won't start when hot

I'm new here and I feel certain this problem has been discussed many many times but I can't seem to find one that explains it. When i crank the truck in the morning, it cranks fine. After driving it and cutting it off, it won't crank after sitting for 20 minutes or so. If i leave it sitting for an hour or so, it cranks after trying twice normally. When i try to crank it after 20 minutes, it turns over but won't fire off. The oil pressure gauge registers nothing as it's turning over. This problem just started in the last few days and gave me the most trouble today. The fuel filter looks terrible but will be replaced tomorrow but as i have seen around the net, that probably isnt the problem. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by LeeYates; 02-28-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like a leaking STC fitting.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

Here's some good reading on your no start issue. Troubleshooting a No-Start condition
Old 02-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help. What is STC fitting?
Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Snap to connect. It connects the high pressure oil pump to the oil rails/rest of system. Very common failure on these trucks.

Jason
Old 02-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How expensive/ difficult of a fix is it? I'm very mechanically inclined. I'm a motorcycle mechanic. Don't do much diesel work but I feel certain I could figure most things out
Old 02-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

Watch this and the part 2, it isn't a massively hard job, but do-able.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok. The problem progressively got worse. Thursday it started dying when it drops to an idle and will not crank back up for several hours. It has to sit about 2 hours before i will crank and even then, you may have to use a little starting fluid. I don't like to use starting fluid but it got me off the side of the road. But I took advice off of here and replaced to STC fitting yesterday. It is still doing the same thing. That affected nothing at all. Any suggestions?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:38 AM
Premium Member

Firstly, let's clear up the terminology. You say if you crank it cold it starts and runs well, but when you shut it off it will not crank, as in will not turn over until it has sat for 20 minutes, correct? Then you say it will turn over (crank) but not start for about 1 hour.

If I have this correct you either have a weak starter, but more than likely you have something like a hydro-lock or a heat seizure event happening.

If it turns over but will not start when hot you have a HPO issue. After 20 minutes while cranking it attempts to run, but does not idle. After one hour it starts again, after cooling. This is classic HPO failure of either o-rings of the standpipes/dummy plugs or the HPOP. Once you read your ICP that will confirm. You need to air test your HPO system.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It will crank and run fine when its cold until it drops to an idle then it dies. It will sit there and turn over and turn over until the batteries are dead but it will not run. If you leave it sitting for an hour or more and come back, used to it would crank and run, now it will only crank with ether. If you let it sit over night, used to it would run, now it wont. It will only run when you crank it with ether. Not a starter issue. Like i said i just replaced the stc and that changed nothing. hope this clarifies some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.