High - low pressure oil and no vgt - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High - low pressure oil and no vgt

My hpo system checks out great, i just replaced hpop, icp, ipr and some other parts. I also cleaned the turbo, its veins, unison ring, etc... with the turbo apart, the actuator was difficult to move between its open and closed position(maybe bad oil in the actuator?) after cleaning the turbo it still has problems changing vein positions so i took it for a long pull and i noticed the lie o meter oil press gauge went up until i let off the go pedal. There is also oil coming from the turbo return and there is a light coat of oil all over the oil cooler/ filter housing. My guess is the actuator is being plugged? Apparently there is a micron filter that is non serviceable on the actuator. Am i on the right track of replacing the actuator? Also, with hot starts it will buck and lope when idling in drive as if there is air in the system but that just happened today twice, and all air has been purged after the repairs.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 01:57 AM

The vgt solenoid's oil is supplied by the LPOP and the solenoid does sometimes go bad so replaceing it is a viable option.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 AM

The solenoid and the actuator are two seperate pieces correct? I guess what im asking is there a chance the actuator is bad as well, my bank acct doesnt like throwing parts at this truck anymore. Thanks

Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 AM

Gotca now. I have found more often that the hole in the unison ring is more often wallowed out than I have seen the lever mechanism to wear out.

But either is possible.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:31 AM

Oh ok, the slot in the ring where the half circle arm moves the unison ring? It looked a little worn out but not to the point where it would be getting caught up on anything. Is that arm supposed to be difficult to move? It was not very easy to move when cleaning, it was my first time cleaning and I dont know how much pressure is supposed to be on the piston.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

If you move the lever it should move fairly easily. It will often move back by itself if you move it when positioning it as you put the turbo back together. Cleanliness is extremely important near the oil inlet as the oil goes to the VGT valve first. It could be either the ring binding, the valve or the VGT solenoid. Ford is very specific about not damaging or getting the valve and solenoid dirty.

DTS Articles - Turbocharger Reconditioning
Old 02-28-2013, 04:20 PM

Thanks for posting that article! I followed a writeup on here that was very similar. I high idled the truck and pulled the connection to the solenoid and i can tell a difference, soo the solenoid shoulddd be working correctly. I have a feeling my up pipes are to the point that it will not even hold EBP anymore. I think ill slap a solid y-pipe on there and see if i continue to have the no boost and lag issue. You can barely hear a whistle anymore :-/ Thanks again

Old 03-07-2013, 04:26 PM

High - low pressure oil and no vgt-imageuploadedbyautoguide1362705640.442568.jpg

So that was the low boost issue i was having AHHH now that that is all fixed i think shes putting out too much boost... At 50% throttle shes at 30 lbs on a light street tune, at idle anywhere between .5 and 1 lb of boost and when in park at about 2300 rpm it will continue to boost to about 5 psi. also, when easing off the go pedal(not quickly release throttle but barely easing off it) she has some major compressor surge until u let completely off the go pedal...
Sticky vanes still? I just cleaned it and unplugging the vgt does make a difference so its doing something. No overboost codes.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 PM

Also, i removed the vgt solenoid just to make sure the orings were good and everything looked as it should, the tip was coked with burnt oil and smelt terrible, the inside of the actuator housing was really coked up with burnt oil as well.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

That was one broke pipe! No whistle out of that hole.

In park or neutral at 2500rpm you should have almost no boost. What you are telling us is a sign of sticky vanes (range of motion). The actuator should just have no or very minimal build-up inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.