Injector replacement and....? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injector replacement and....?

Hello all,
Good lord there's a lot of injector threads on here! I looked through as many as I could, but didn't come across an answer for my question. I'm having all 8 of my injectors replaced soon with standard oem parts at a local diesel shop. Truck is completely stock (except for full MBRP exhaust) and I have 4 injectors malfunctioning really bad when engine is cold. Figured just replace them all before it gets worse. Basically, just curious if anything else should happen during this work being done. For example, will a re-tune/re-flash be needed or anything electronic needed at all? The tech there did mention making a couple minor improvments to that oil distribution plate under the valve cover... I would like to be a little ahead of the game on whats nessessary here before taking it in. Thanx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Have you put in the upgraded fuel pressure spring? It is a blue spring that goes into the upper fuel filter body and is available at RiffRaff and even the Ford dealer around $38.00 at RiffRaff. Have you checked the fuel pressure you want to be in the 60 psi range to keep injectors healthy.
Running 5W/40 synthetic oil and a fuel treatment like DieselKleen also will extend injector life.
Dummy plugs and standpipes would be wise to replace now as well depending on year of truck.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:23 AM
Emergency Services

I'm assuming you've checked the FICM and batteries and know these aren't causing your injector issue.

...and ^^^ that too.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:24 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
try some rev x or archoil9100 too
Old 02-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's the first I've heard of the aftermarket fuel filter spring. But I did go through 2 bottles of HotShots Secret. Helped a little bit, but didn't solve anything. About a year and a half ago I had my FICM rebuilt and repaired. Had an old battery at the time. First replaced both batteries. Then volt tested the FICM and found it being bad. Took the truck to Ford and they said I had the bad injectors.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:26 PM

5W/40 synthetic oil will do better then HotShot or RevX, just put good oil in it.
And the upgraded spring will smooth out the truck especially at idle and it's not aftermarket it's made by International. Throw it in will help.

Do you have gauges to monitor ficm ECT/EOT ect ?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do you mean to try synthetic oil before replacing the injectors? Right now I use the 15W/40 Motorcraft super duty oil from Ford. Figured it would be the best to use since its from the manufacturer. No extra gauges yet. Planning on adding SCT or Bully Dog to the truck. But heard about guys having lots of issues adding these when there's existing problems. Wanted to focus on proper operation before the toys. And tires... lol
Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 AM
Emergency Services

You really need to get a monitor on the truck! Idk how long you've had it for but without a monitor it's only a matter of time before something bites you with a big repair bill when you could have seen it coming and spent less.

Just because it's from Ford or says Ford on it doesn't mean it's he best option. With how expensive diesel repairs are it's a good idea to read/research what seems to be your best option. Along with that don't take an internet opinion as the absolute truth, some sources are better than others. When in doubt ask... the ORG has a lot of guys with a TON of knowledge.

Synthetic oil will be a better option depending on where you live and what you tow. If you tow heavy in hot weather it may not be best, if you don't tow heavy it probably is, if you live in the cold (well below freezing) it definitely is. If your truck is missing bad and idling really rough switching oil and putting in a new fuel pressure spring isn't going to solve the problem and neither will Rev-x, Archoil or Hotshot Secret. It might smooth out a little but not because the injectors are "fixed" they are just "freed up" a little and moving easier with the lower oil viscosity.

I would load test the batteries and check the FICM myself before trusting the dealership diagnosis of injectors, they're probably good but it's free to check.

Finally... Yes if your truck isn't 100% those "little" issues will be more apparent with a tune and they will be more likely to turn into bigger issues. You will definitely see the SCT ad the tuner of choice on this site and it looks like there are a lot of good reasons for it. I personally haven't researched tuners yet (I want the truck as close to 100% as possible first) but I'll be going with custom tunes when I get there and it will probably be SCT unless I happen to read of a better option.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 AM

Run whatever brand of oil you want but the 5W/40 will be the best running oil because of how the injectors will behave with it. Ford specd 10W/40 because there was no such thing as a 5W/40 oil when the 6.0 came out.
I agree 100% with Fishermedic you should have gauges on that truck for the oil cooler temps if for nothing else, that is this engines Bugaboo and once it starts plugging up the egr cooler is done for head gaskets will follow if not caught quickly. Get gauges you can get a ScanGaugeII at Auto Zone for $160.00 and will monitor everything exept fuel pressure and exhaust temps.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Tested the batteries yesterday. Their good. I'm at 2k since last oil change, so might as well swap it out to the thinner oil. If I go synthetic, can I just go 100% or should it be walked through a blend first? Also is there a diesel specific synthetic oil? Definitly going to look into gauges/monitor. Soon. Going to install the "blue spring" mod as well. I noticed there are 2 kits. One is just spring and gaskets. The other includes a new cover. Is the cover really nessessary?

Last edited by Rik6.0; 02-28-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.