Need HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 12:52 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need HELP

I recently got a no hot start issue, and code P2291. Last May I did the EGR/oil cooler work and replaced the STC fitting while I was at it. This time I'm doing standpipes/dummy plugs in hopes that this is the issue. After replacing the standpipe and dummy plug on the driver side, I stupidly broke off a bolt in the valve cover. Half of it is still in the threads, while the other half is sitting on my workbench. For inquiring minds, it's the bolt that is threaded for a 10mm nut that the oil dipstick tube attaches to.

My question is, what are my options? I've spent some time at the Tousley parts website but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Obviously I need to get this thing back together as soon as possible. Any help on where I might be able to find another bolt, etc. would be appreciated. I suppose I'll check with the dealership in the morning in the meantime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 PM

Update

I was able to sort through my problems. Very fortunate today (somewhat). I was able to carefully drill into the valve cover bolt and remove it without damaging anything, get a replacement bolt, and finish the standpipe/dummy plug effort today. Of course, starting the truck took several cranks, but it lit and I took it out for about 30 minutes. Throttle response did seem a little delayed at times.

After coming back in, I shut it off for 30-45 seconds and tried to start it again. Same no start condition... after letting sit for 15-20 minutes I tried to restart to get my ICP numbers: ICP_V is at .6; ICP_PSI is at about 305. I know that if I let it cool down enough, it will build the minimum 500 PSI to start up; but with the ICP sensor plugged in, it just cranks and cranks.

After unplugging the ICP sensor, truck still struggles to start up, but it does (I'm thinking there might be some air still trapped in the system?). ICP_V is at 0 (of course); ICP_PSI at about 652.

Would this indicate a bad sensor? I can't really tell if there is oil on the plug or around the base of the sensor, and I can't see any wire chaffing, but this is what I'm leaning towards as I have about checked everything else off the list.

As I said before, last May I updated the STC fitting, replaced the IPR screen, and have now updated the standpipes/dummy plugs. (Slowly but surely I'm building a rock-solid rig). Any help or advice would be appreciated

2006 6.0
104,xxx miles
Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Need HELP

Have you performed the air leak test yet? And by the way, i replaced ipr with brand new factory part and it shortly failed internally so dont rule that out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the idea. I wanted to post what the issue finally was to save somebody some trouble. An air leak test would have told me a lot sooner, but we finally discovered the problem was the STC fitting - not the fitting itself (as I had already replaced it), but the o-ring on the back side of it. Apparently I did not torque it down properly, as the oil pressure eventually tore the o-ring.

Without performing an air test, we had been able to check several things off the list: standpipes/dummy plugs; ICP sensor; IPR (replaced screen); and STC fitting (so I thought). My inattention to torque specs 10 months ago caused all of this.

Moral of the story - run some air through the system to find your leak(s). Throwing parts at it is expensive.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Need HELP

Glad you got it running again and thanks for the update!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.