turbo noise? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo noise?

well i made it to see my brother in wv for christmas and i had to show him my truck( or show off my truck i should say) i ran it hard a couple of times up to about 60 or so from a stop just to show him how good the truck was on the performance tune. the egts went to about 1200 and then i took it easy for the last mile or so till we got back to his house. i sat in the driveway and let it idle till the egts came down to 350 then turned it off. we went inside for a while and then when i left i noticed when i gave it 1/4 throttlle and boosted up to 15 and then let off the gas there was a flutter or something coming from the turbo. you can also see the turbo needle jump with the sound of the flutter as its comming down. its never done this before so i dont think its the turbo fart i here about. i cant imagine that i tore the turbo up that easy. is there something else it could be. has anyone had this happen before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2007, 07:15 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's my definition of turbo fart. But according to your sig you have the stock intake and you shouldn't get turbo fart with a stock intake. hmmm...that's all Im worth. good luck. merry xmas.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:16 PM

I have a stock intake, and mine farts all the time when it's cold and occasionally when it's warm too. It usually does it after getting on it hard.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:21 PM

MINE DOSE THE SAME THING HOT OR COLD. THERE IS NO BLOW OFF VALVE ON THE 6.0. ITS NORMAL.

Last edited by KILLER KEN; 12-25-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:33 PM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
well i am glad my 7.3 doesnt do that
Old 12-25-2007, 10:23 PM

Yeah, it's a pretty crappy design on a $14k engine--isn't it.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:21 AM

yeah stock intake, but its funny that ive never heard it before. ive had the truck two years and its not done this before. could it be a inter. boot or y pipe? im also assuming that an aftermarket intake makes it more noticeable? the truck seems to be running fine-still boots to about 28-30. does seem like the egts are a bit higher and it comes down more slowly than it did before. if this is normal do we just live with is there something that will eliminate this?
Old 12-26-2007, 10:35 AM

They don't generally do it when they're new. Mine didn't do it when I first got it either. It was about a year old then. It started a few months ago. It sucks, but it's normal. Changing the turbo with a brand new one will virtually eliminate it, but it will come back in time. I think the aftermarket turbos don't do it much at all. Ford even has a TSB that mentions it that says it's normal. I think it's a problem with the stock turbos, but Ford just doesn't want to admit it so they don't have to replace them.

It's a lot worse when it's cold when the VGT vanes tend to stick, as you've noticed.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i think my truck started doing the same..when i let of the gas, the engine makes a chopping, chukkle sound and im not sure what it is..it only does it when i let off the gas..the engin runs fine and start fine aswell, any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.