Need Help Troubleshooting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Need Help Troubleshooting

Morning, everyone. I've got an '04 F350 6.0 (build date 17/04/04) that's got a bit of an issue.

When it's cold it has issues starting, rough idle, zero throttle response and I'm basically stranded for the first 15 minutes until it gets some heat in 'er. Once it warms up it idles fine and it works 100%... but only in first gear. I get all the boost and power I need, no misfires, no surging and perfect throttle response. As soon as it shifts into higher gears I get intermittent boost, basically no power, a bunch of misfiring and throttle response takes a dive. If I pussy-foot and don't hit much boost it doesn't misfire as much, but still doesn't work well.

I took it to the dealer yesterday and of course it's winter here and they didn't plug it in so it wouldn't start, so all they could do was test the FICM (which cost me $320 bucks) and told me I needed a new one (which I literally just tested the day before I brought it to the dealer and it put out 48v and 46v). Whatever. I pulled it out, re-soldered everything and threw it back in. Truck worked awesome. Shut it off, back on, wide-open-throttle from a standstill and still 100%. Put it into reverse and 100% of my problems came back.

Does anyone have any suggestions aside from replacing the FICM (which I am doing tomorrow)? I have a brand new EGR, GPM tested good, new ICP... I can't remember what else. I'm out of ideas and I'd rather tear into injectors last because I'm poor right now. My truck working 100% properly in 1st gear only and crap in every other gear is really throwing me off.

Now for the good part: I have no scan software or any kind of monitoring programs, so I can't answer any questions as to values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You need to be monitoring what is happening when it is running poorly. That would help with the diagnosis. It really sounds like injector issues, but seems to be load related, so it could be affected by a few things like fuel pressure and availability, an EBP or MAP leak or blockage, or even the FICM as the dealer stated. There are a lot of diesel truck in Alberta, so the knowledge base is pretty good. What were all the tests they did for $320? I am sure it wasn't just the FICM. What did the contribution/balance reveal?

I hope you are running 0w40 of 5w40 synthetic. Check out the 0w40 at CO OP. It is one of the best and only one of a few true synthetics oils available. FWIW, you should be good to go in a couple of minutes after start, especially if it was plugged in. Even if it wasn't, it should be good to go in 5 minutes, once started!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I'd like to be monitoring it, but I don't want to keep the truck. I want to get it running 100% reliably and then sell it because I've got a 3rd kid on the way and it's not roomy enough.

The only thing I got from the dealer was my invoice, which states that they had it listed for a tune-up, engine diag, test injectors and drivetrain diag... even though the only thing I asked for was an injector test. God I hate the dealership. Plus, the guy who did my work order and the guy who worked on my truck BOTH went on holidays before I could even drive down there to ask any questions. Terrible. Although they only charged me for the FICM test and not everything else, which was nice. They said it bounced all over from 20v - 48v. Needless to say they added a bunch of garbage to my invoice and I'm never going back there.

Basically my plan is to change the oil (since it needs one anyway), replace the FICM and test fuel pressure (just put in new filters) as well as pull the EBP and clean out the tube. I checked the MAP connection and it's clean and wiggling the wiring didn't yield any change. It might be fuel pressure; aside from injectors, the fuel pressure is the only thing I didn't test. *sigh* I'm regretting selling my F250 5.4 gasser right now, lol.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All right, so she has a fresh FICM and fresh oil in it and I just took it for spin. My throttle response issue is gone and there's no more white smoke but it still misses when it's cold. When it's warmed up it runs great.

The only issue I am having now is inconsistent boost. It's not load-related anymore, either. It's like the turbo works, and then decides it wants to be lazy and work half-assed. I get good spool-up regardless of RPM but I get inconsistent boost at random RPM, not particularly in any specific RPM range.

The best way I can describe it is if you run too cold of a plug range in a turbo'd gasoline vehicle or if timing is off a bit. Could it be my turbo? It sounds normal to me. I've ran a 6.6 Duromax and a 6.2 with a BANKS setup before that and it sounds like it's performing normally.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Boost is all heat, load and vane related. It is possible your vanes are sticking, but you say you get good spool-up. At higher RPM you typically have less boost than at the same speed, lower RPM and higher load/heat. It sure sounds like the FICM was the major problem.

It seems you have some stiction issues as well.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So brought the truck in and the injectors are all good, turbo is good... everything is good.......................... except the motor. FML. It needs rings for #1, 7 and 8.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM

Well that sucks! I guess the compression test finally nailed it down. You don't hear of too many ring issues.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Did you clean the tubing to the EBP sensor tubing?? it can give you random boost communication to the PCM. If you have not DO IT.

If you need rings does it smoke and use oil?? Seems strange to me, clean ebp tubing with wire and compressed air if you have not already done so........
Old 03-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

@mhatlen

It does smoke at startup, bot only when it's cold, and only for maybe 30 seconds and then it's gone. I did clean the tube, but I kind of half-assed it. I seafoamed it and have run through a tank with Stanadyne in it and it's improved quite a bit in my opinion. I haven't taken it in since it failed the first compression test (pre-seafoam) but when it's warmed up she works almost 100% with the odd power surging.

Actually, I was driving the other day beside a barrier and I could hear my turbo consistently spooling while I was maintaining a steady RPM and speed. It was basically: spool, no spool, spool, no spool, spool.... you get the idea. Annoying as hell, but there was no power surging when this was happening.

I'll give the tubing another go when it warms up a bit and see how that goes. Are there any cleaners out there that are safe to use (won't ruin my EBP sensor)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.