7.3. Owner needs help with 6.0 i might be buying - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3. Owner needs help with 6.0 i might be buying

So i have a line on an 06 f350 4*4 ccsb for 5k 299546 mi. Auto trans and a 6.0... immaculately taken care of cosmetically

Heres what it did that makes me nervious about buying it.

Cold start: white tar smelling smoke kinda thick... Cleared up as the truck warmed up... Semi hard starting ( air temp approx 60 F. with full glow plug cycle)

Driving: seems a bit laggy when you jump on it... No smoke white or black... Struggles for a few then about 1k -1200 rpm the turbo spools and yee haaa hang on... With plenty of turbo music... ( prev. Owner cut off exhaust after the muffler)

Chk eng light: will upload the codes soon... as im on the road and cant remember them specifically

But they said:
egr valve not opening or closing
low coolant press. (however proper coolant level and temp gauge never moved above normal)
EGT's read low on the EGT gauge cant remember particular #'s rite this sec. but it was on the low side

Air bag light on

Parked after 20 min drive with 3 WOT runs: no smoking of any color
No excessive pressure / bubbling from coolant res.

My questions are... Should i hold out for another 7.3 or if i get this 6.0 what are some of the things i need to look for before i plop down the cash on this truck and would it be a good buy even with these probs?

Lastly if i do get it... How hard is it or can someone reccomend a good mechanic anywhere in nor cal. Washington... Salt lake area... Idaho.... Or eastern oregon who will do the EGR delete PROPERLY with a full oil cooler replacment

What other things should i do to make sure this truck sees another 300k without the probs associated with the 6.0

Use: mostly a daily driver, occasional towing goose neck travel trailer (about 8500lbs approx)
Dont want any extreme numbers just something as reliable as my 7.3

Any help would be great...

Thanks

Gunny

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Run in to my fist!

Sounds almost like its got a ruptured egr cooler combined with a bad egr valve. Ask if you can pull the egr valve for inspection. Only takes 5 minutes.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Re: 7.3. Owner needs help with 6.0 i might be buying

Where is it and can u email me pics or a list of what im doing/lookin at

Titan.recovery@yahoo.com

Old 02-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Run in to my fist!

I dont have any pics. But youtube, like google, is a wonderful thing.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Okay... The video helps i appriciate it... If i pull the egr valve and its all gunked up obviously I'd clean it... How can i tell if i also have a ruptured egr cooler will there be fluid inside the housing for the egr valve?

And should i replace the egr cooler (along with the oil cooler i hear is smart) or should i just to the delete?

As i said ive seen videos of egr coolers gone bad and they look like seafoam videos gone bad... This truck doesent have any of that.... Is there any other things i can do before i buy it to help narrow down the problem... Im not opposed to doing the work but i just wanna make sure im not replacing an entire motor when i think its simply an egr issue....

Appriciate all the help.... Would me shooting a vodeo of it and posting it help? So if you see something that jumps out at you guys it can be pointed out.... Im lookin to buy this truck within the next two weeks...

Old 02-21-2013, 01:36 AM

for that price even if you had to drop some money in it you would have a hell of a truck!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 AM
Run in to my fist!

EGR delete is the best rout to go (if your state does not have diesel emissions anyway) Replacement of the oil cooler is a must at the same time with a full coolant system flush, addition of a coolant filter is highly recommended and get away from fords gold coolant, and use a diesel rated ELC that Cat EC1 rated like Zerex HD.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I own a few semis (even tgey are internationals (prostar eagle edition) ) so im gonna use our red coolant... If its good enough for our systems then it should work great for my psd's run it in my 7.3's and they run cooler on it.

So heres a question... When i do the coolant flush should i do it before or after the oil cooler replacement and egr delete?

Thanks guys

Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Run in to my fist!

Here maybe this will help. This is found on Ficmrepair.com website under maintenance tips. http://home.comcast.net/%7Elyon.fami...ush%20v1-0.pdf
Old 02-27-2013, 06:43 AM
Premium Member

PG 28 ... Do a complete flush PRIOR to oil cooler replacement.... WOW Michaelaiman...
What a LINK>>>>
Thanks
where can I find other solutions thru this link of yours? seems like a ford tech type stuff...

thanks, thanks , thanks ... Should be a stickY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.