06 80k mile f350 diesel has leak in up-pipe to turbo? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 80k mile f350 diesel has leak in up-pipe to turbo?

our 06 F350 that has has a 4" silverline exhuast on it since 35k miles, suddenly had a major exhaust leak, i thought it was the plate blockoff where the EGR used to be hooked behind the engine, but it wasnt. its the flex pipe part apparently is cracked and leaking a ton of exhaust out, causing the turbo to not have adequate pressure to build boost well, also has a huge whistle now too.

shop said it would be roughly $850 to replace/fix. I've heard of a ton of various problems, stuff guys break on these trucks, but how on earth is this part broken? The truck's exhuast looks flawless otherwise, even behind the manifolds, where the flex is, isnt rusty or anything, isn't this part stainless?

could we have damaged it when removing the EGR 14,000 miles ago/almost 2 years ago? nothing was done to the truck engine/exhaust wise since then.

I had a SCT tune on it for some of that time, but had since uploaded the factory tune months ago when my guys would be driving it around plowing snow in the winter months or mainly driving around spreading salt in NJ lol.

I swear the stupid bullsh1t with the diesels, no wonder everyone is buying the gas motors now, if its not the common stuff, the oddball stuff kills you too. Our other 06 dually with ARP studs, turbo, tune, etc, now is losing a ton of coolant each week, not burning it so has to be leaking it in a hose or radiator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 AM

The up-pipe cracking happens. Its a flexible pipe, and just like all metal, is,goin to heat up and cool down so many times before it loses its integrity. I dont know how much they cost but if your competant and can climb back there, go for it! The 06? Does that have an egr delete and or were the heads checked by a good shop when the studs were done? There are plenty of instances where guys have done studs but skipped checking or even improving the heads kust to pay for it later with blown HGs
Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 AM

yea Ive blown 3 up pipes in 50000 miles, just buy the aftermarket and be done with it the stock up pipes suck... don't do it over and over like i did...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.