Block Heater Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 09:52 AM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Block Heater Issue

For the past 2 weeks I've been fighting every night to get my block heater to start warming up, so that I can start my truck up at night if I need to, and so its easier on the engine in the morning. The problem I have is that each time I plug my truck into the extension cord to go to the outlet on my house it shorts out the circuit, I've tried other extension cords and it does the same thing, and I've tried plugging power tools into the cord on that outlet, and they work fine. I've been thinking that it is moisture that collects on the prongs of the heater cord, from the road, because there seems to be some each night, and the cap that goes over it doesn't prevent water from getting in. I called my dealer and they said They've had another truck with the same problem, so I'm scheduled to go in a week from today. I'm just thinking that if I keep starting my truck in the morning w/o plugging her in when its 20* out, that its going to hurt the engine, I mean she'll spew blue smoke for 3-5mins when she isn't plugged in, and thats really starting to bother me.
Any help, opinions, or other suggetions are appreciated.
Thanks.

-BG06.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The blue smoke is due to the low temperature that the diesel is "combusting" at, if I am not mistaken, and is normal with cold weather starts.
Don't know about the plug?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You should be ok , I agree with above blue smoke on cold starts is the norm ..
we had -15 wind chill here the other night and the dog some how unpluged my truck and she still fired up....However having her pluged in is still nice...
Old 12-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Member/MARINE

Send a message via Yahoo to rajharley
I saw a mod on here somewhere too that showed how someone went to a boat store and bought a flush mounted plug to replace the one on our trucks. It was mounted in the bumper and had a weatherproof cap on it. I think it was like $15.00 or something. I plan on doing this mod soon.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:23 AM

i am thinking you have a bad cord or element.here is a whole new setup on ebay i am sure it is less then ford, your call
eBay Motors: 2005 2006 BLOCK HEATER KIT FORD SUPERDUTY 6.0 DIESEL (item 8021992603 end time Dec-30-07 19:56:38 PST)
Old 12-19-2007, 10:59 AM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Thanks for the help guys. I knew that white smoke was bad for diesels, and black smoke, well isn't that good for it, but doesn t really hurt it either, and looks pretty cool, but was unsure about blue smoke. I think I'm gonna wait until the dealer looks at it, besides, I don't have a garage to pull my truck into and its about 20* outside this whole week. I do have another question though, when I start up my truck and the blue smoke is coming out, would it be a good idea to wait for that to stop before hitting my switch for high idle or does it not matter?
Thanks.

-BG06.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:02 AM

Is the outlet GFI protected. When I try to plug my RV in with nothing on (and I mean nothing because I turned the main breaker off) it trips my GFI. Everything else works fine just like you mentioned. If the outlet is GFI protected, try plugging in to one that isn't and see if it works fine.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:10 AM

the plugs are nice you can also pick them up at your local BIG truck parts store satndard on most big rigs...
Old 12-19-2007, 11:30 AM

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY BLOCK HEATER IT WOUND UP BEING THE BLOCK HEATER I REPLACED ITAND IT WORKS GREAT NOW
Old 12-19-2007, 12:07 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtprez View Post
Is the outlet GFI protected. When I try to plug my RV in with nothing on (and I mean nothing because I turned the main breaker off) it trips my GFI. Everything else works fine just like you mentioned. If the outlet is GFI protected, try plugging in to one that isn't and see if it works fine.
Well it is the outlet is GFI, because it is outside, Although there is another outside one that works fine, but its about 50 ft from where my truck is parked, and I also have my xmas lights plugged into that outlet. My inside outlets also work.

-BG06.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.