no start 05 6.0 HPOP system??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no start 05 6.0 HPOP system???

drove the truck around all day with no issues, went to leave a place and truck wont start....

No check engine light.
FICM voltage is at 48
I have fuel pressure at the engine filter.
Air filter is new and unclogged

I checked the codes and got a turbo underboost which is new and a 8 glow plug circuit low which is not new.

I pulled the oil filter and noticed the housing had very little oil in it, thinking my low pressure oild pump had quit i filled the valley with new oil, still no start, could it be my HPOP?

Oil pressure gauge does not move while cranking.
ICP pressure while cranking is 120ish
icp voltage is about .04 i think

I am not sure what they should be does anyone know what the problem could be?? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
yeah that is definitely not enough ICP and if you're not getting base oil pressure that would explain it. Are you using a motorcraft oil filter and OEM filter cap?

I'd do a quick visual check of the oil pressure regulator. Underneath the truck directly behind the crank pulley is a plug with a 12mm hex to remove it. Under that plug is the oil pressure regulator and spring. The cup should slide freely in the bore with no dragging.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 PM

I recently did the oil change and yes i am using all ford oem filters and oil. I always have.

I have had the IPR changed in the past year and the screen was pressed in. If the HPOP is failing it could have taken out the IPR as well..... correct??

Is there a trouble shooting procedure that i could do at my house to pin point the problem? The tow truck just dropped it off.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:47 PM

OH yeah!! for about a month the truck has had a small oil leak coming from the rear of the passenger side of the engine compartment i cant pinpoint the leak yet but it probably has something to do with where my problem is right??
Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke Techie

well if the STC has popped loose and cracked the rear engine cover that would definitely cause a no start with no ICP and a oil leak from the top passenger side of the engine . I have heard of this happening and sometimes the truck will still run for a while, other times its just dead in the water.

That wouldn't cause no base oil pressure though. Take the oil filter out and have someone crank the engine while you hold the drainback valve down (little black round thing at the bottom). Does the filter housing fill up with oil?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:24 PM

will check the base oil pressure in the morning, had the stc fitting fixed when i did the egr delete, studs, etc over a year ago. so it shouldnt be that. I plan on pulling it apart tomorrow to look at everything but i am hesitant because i dont want to get it torn apart and not be able to crank it or test it.

Base oil pressure is from the low pressure oil pump down in the pan correct? if i had no base oil pressure wouldnt the truck still have fired of once i filled the valley and ran until it emptied the valley?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The oil pump housing is in the front cover and yes it draws from the pan

I doubt theres enough oil in the high pressure reservoir to get the engine to fire even if you somehow had filled it. I've pre-filled oil coolers and reservoirs before and it still takes a bit of cranking to build ICP.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:09 PM

I have seen them fire and run with no oil in the pan. it will run until there isnt enough oil in the valley to fire the injectors. (the guy drained the oil during an oil change and forgot to fill it back up before he started the truck.) we had to fill the truck up with oil then fill the valley up before it would run again. but even then it took a bit of cranking to fire off.

back on topic. SO..... if i dont have base oil pressure, it is my low pressure pump right?!?

If i do have base oil pressure it is either my ICP, HPOP, Rear engine cover, STC fitting, standpipes...... How do i find out?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

no low oil pressure = foreign object damage, stuck oil pressure regulator, broken oil pump, cracked pick up tube, etc

to diag no icp you need a way to command IPR shut and and compressed air to pressurize the high pressure system
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 PM

Thanks so much, i am gonna do some investigating in the morning and see what i come up with. I really appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.