Metal chunk on oil plug !!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Metal chunk on oil plug !!!!!

Changed my oil today and found this on the oil plug.... few months ago when i had studs done i had a broken rocker arm. Is this a left over piece or is it somthing else... also no metal shavings at all 5000miles on the oil just that chunk.. what is that piece it looks broken in the picture but it looks like smooth metal.?
Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Metal chunk on oil plug !!!!!-uploadfromtaptalk1361051920634.jpg   Metal chunk on oil plug !!!!!-uploadfromtaptalk1361051933429.jpg   Metal chunk on oil plug !!!!!-uploadfromtaptalk1361051945905.jpg   Metal chunk on oil plug !!!!!-uploadfromtaptalk1361051961297.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Metal chunk on oil plug !!!!!

It sure looks like a valve keeper to me. I think I would show it to whoever did your studs and ask them about it. If it is a keeper then I'm afraid your engine is a ticking time bomb. Not trying to freak you out but seriously, check into this with whoever did the work.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-16-2013, 02:14 PM

Sure need to check your valves through would not be cool to one valve dropping in to cylinder while engine running.

Would make a lot damge..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-16-2013, 02:15 PM

i sent it to him and he said he had no idea what it was talked to him today... thats exactly what it thought it looked like but how could it posssibly be running perfectly fine.. i had my srl+ on today going to get the oil and i was hammering down all the way and its fine idk? any other things it could posssibly be?
Old 02-16-2013, 02:20 PM

NO ! It is one of two pieces what hold the valve not going to the cylinder.
If you have one missing its only matter of time when the other one fail and boom there goes valve and prob. Piston and more

Old 02-16-2013, 02:25 PM

One can hold it in place and you would t know a thing. After another is missing you would know for sure.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:29 PM

I have open and see diesel engines after valve has visited piston and ruin the head piston and rod and the little pieces gone trough turbo ruin blades there too

Old 02-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah, when the valve is put into the guide the valve spring is dropped down over the stem. It then gets the retainer on top of the spring and the whole mess is compressed and two keepers fit into the grooves on the valve stem. When the compressor is removed the the retainer contacts the keepers and the whole mess is held together by a simple interference fit. If you look at your part and imagine a second one just like it you can see the cone shape that the outside would have. The retainer has a cone shape that the keepers fit into. If you have a valve that has a single keeper holding the valve it it is just a matter of time before you lose it too. If you lose the other keeper the valve WILL fall into the cylinder. If the valve falls into the cylinder you are almost guaranteed to kill a piston and head. You also run the risk of a damaged cylinder wall or bent connecting rod. Better safe than sorry, get it checked. Just my opinion but if the guy that did the work can not indentify a valve keeper, he doesn't need to be working on your truck. I think that someone can pull the rockers and inspect the tips of the stems to find the offending valve. I'd start on the valve that had the broken rocker. Please get this checked. I'm assuming that there was machine work involved with your stud job?
Old 02-16-2013, 02:52 PM

yea i know how all that stuff work just wanted you guys to tell me somthing else... guess im lucky i changed my oil today.. should the shop that did my head gaskets and studs pay for this...??? he didnt even know what it was...
Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM

when i had the head tuds done i got someone elses heads and were cut and checked but yea i dont think he wanted to tell me what that was. but yea its parked... can i replace the retainer like doing an injector or do i got to pull the heads off again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.