High EGT's after exhaust install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High EGT's after exhaust install

My EGT'S with the stock exhaust would reach mid 1200's at WOT...but after installing a turbo back 5" MBRP aluminized (with no cat) exhaust system, my EGT'S are reaching 1600's at WOT.

After searching and reading several threads I have two questions:

First and most important.

1. What would be the probable cause of the 400 degree rise after installing the exhaust?

.....and least important but just curious

2. What is a "turbo fart"?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Is the temp sender in the same place and is it the same sender?

Turbo fart is when the turbo starts spooling up and you drop off the accelarator pedal too fast the boost created has no where to go exept back out the intake (air filter).

Did you change the tune you are running? What is the temp now at say 65mph compared to before you straight piped it. That should be lower now........?
Old 02-17-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post

Turbo fart is when the turbo starts spooling up and you drop off the accelarator pedal too fast the boost created has no where to go exept back out the intake (air filter).

Did you change the tune you are running? What is the temp now at say 65mph compared to before you straight piped it. That should be lower now........?
Tanks for the reply,

Everything is exactly the same on the truck...tune, probe location, driving conditions...ECT.

The only thing that changed was the exhaust.

I can't say if my EGTs are better or worse at 65mph. I only know that at WOT it peaks at around 1600, about 400 more than when the stock system was on.

I'm thinking that I might have done something wrong with the install or maybe broke something during the processes.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Any ideas.....? Any reason at all that would cause high EGTs at WOT? It doesn't need to relate to the new exhaust install.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 PM

I don't have a temp gauge on my truck so I can't give you a comparison. How does it feel in comparison to power before you installed the 5".
It may be flowing that much more and the heat is exiting the turbo faster?? It makes sense to me but how fast does it drop after you are out of the throttle?? More flow better fire more heat, key is how long is it at those temps and of coarse what is a typical exhaust temp with a 5" pipe.

Someone with exhaust temp gauge will hopefully chime in.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I don't have a temp gauge on my truck so I can't give you a comparison. How does it feel in comparison to power before you installed the 5".
It may be flowing that much more and the heat is exiting the turbo faster?? It makes sense to me but how fast does it drop after you are out of the throttle?? More flow better fire more heat, key is how long is it at those temps and of coarse what is a typical exhaust temp with a 5" pipe.

Someone with exhaust temp gauge will hopefully chime in.
I guess your theory of more air flow would increase temp, but one of the claims of the turbo back exhaust system is they LOWER EGTs. So what could cause higher temps?

The high temps drop immediately after I remove my foot from the pedal.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 AM

That's why I asked what the difference at 65mph before and after install. That temp should be lower now, but WOT may be making more power now than before thus making more heat.......The sustained temps are critical.

Last edited by mhatlen; 02-18-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If those temperatures are right, you are going to melt a piston. The pistons are aluminum/silicon not steel. Better figure it out. Sounds like drastic overfueling.

What does the EGT thermocouple read in the AM before you start up? What does the EGT read at idle after completely warmed up?

Have you tried returning to stock and see what the temperatures are there?

MikeB
Old 02-18-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDMikeB View Post
If those temperatures are right, you are going to melt a piston. The pistons are aluminum/silicon not steel. Better figure it out. Sounds like drastic overfueling.

What does the EGT thermocouple read in the AM before you start up? What does the EGT read at idle after completely warmed up?

Have you tried returning to stock and see what the temperatures are there?

MikeB
AM temps are very close to the actual temp outside. After warm up my EGTs at idle when in neutral are about 280 and with the truck in gear it increases slightly to about 320.

I will try the stock tune and get back with an update
Old 02-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

your egts should have gone down 200-300 degress, not up with larger exhaust.

im thinking you have an exhaust leak somewhere. is the downpipe hooked up correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.