2007 dually issue or not? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking 2007 dually issue or not?

Here goes, Ive got a 2007 power stroke dually.. Which occasionally pops off the coolant cap. Here is what I've done....using the low mark as the new high...on the fourth cap, did the pressure test while driving...here are the temps at 70 mph.ECT 194 low-198 high average, Oil 202 low-205 high 7-10 deg delta coolant pressure 12-16 (15-16 at wot) Could actually tell when the cap poped off at 16 then settled back to 14-15 psi... Did the combustion gas test on the reservoir negative results for anything in it... the only thing that hasn't been checked is the egr at the manifold for coolant leakage.
At 60,000 had the dealership do the "Wynns egr/manifold cleaning"
Istalled the banks otto mind 6 with pda at 85,000 for the gauges and running at level 2 for fuel econ...(yeh I know) 4 inch turbo back magnaflo, punched the kitty and resized for the 4 inch....replaced the front calipers @ 85000(sticking) Coolant filter installed at 85,000 will be replacing coolant(ford gold) for the 3 time and the coolant filter..#1 shortly...Cant figure out the occasional coolant cap pop off....Ideas anyone?? Thinking about a thermostat... it stays about 185 coolant 190 oil around town....35-55mph Use only ford filters and oem parts. At 86000 and going strong. Main concern is the coolant pop off, Truck lifted 4inchs and leveled....wondering about the coolant level?

Last edited by Stu798; 02-15-2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: TYPO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

You have either a blown egr cooler or the head gaskets are leaking. You should see 9-11 psi on the cooling system at all times, wot inputs should not raise the coolant pressure what you should see is a slow climb of a1 psi or so slowly from expansion from heat and then it should slowly drop back to 9-11 psi as it cools back down from pushing it.

You should never see 16 psi unless it's boiling over. There is a way to determine whether it's egr cooler or head gaskets go to Sinister or BP Diesels web site and look it up on you-tube.
Oh yea loose the banks tuner...........JMHO can be hard on head gaskets
Old 02-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input, have a friend with a shop going to have it checked out. Getting rid of the banks , going for the scangauge2. Update: Took the banks off, left the pressure gauge from the degauss bottle...Took it out,warmed it up and hammered it to 70mph down the highway...preasure rose to 15....punched it to 80 it popped the coolant cap as it should....something happened that i can only believe was the thermostat.....it dropped to 6 psi and stayed there the rest of the drive home,to the auto supply for a ford thermostat and 3 gallons of fresh coolant. Using the truck dummy gauges every thing in the green. Will update tomorrow after the coolant flush and change..might have got lucky!!

Well everyone, I consider myself the winner and a lucky one at that....Did a coolant flush, pulled the THERMOSTAT and it was BAD..I mean the brass barrel was grooved from the spring,put it in boiling water and it was very very slow to open...Long story short...it was bad. bought a new one at ford, first coolant filter and everything drained out of block there was maybe a 9mm bullet case of particles...(this was the 2nd flush.) Took it out and drove it like I stole it....4psi at 55,,,7psi at 75 wot. Thanks for all the input!!

Last edited by Stu798; 02-17-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.