Leaking Coolant (no other symptoms) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaking Coolant (no other symptoms)

I have a 6.0 PSD in my 2004 motorhome. I noticed a coolant leak on my garage floor, not bad but enough to take notice. I climbed under the vehicle and investigated. I found it coming from directly at the valve cover gasket for the right head. What could this be? I have no other symptoms. No oil in my degas bottle, no smoke. I am running the BPD EGR cooler. For cooling my oil I have a custom dual cooler setup as follows: BPD oil cooler in conjunction with a new stock (9 row) oil cooler. This custom setup is a remedy recommended by BPD. The problem was that after having replace the stock oil cooler with their air based oil cooler the resultant cooling proved inadequate for my motorhomes heavy cooling requirements. This fact was drawn out last summer when I had a sever overheating incident in the mountain passes of Colorado while towing my truck with the motorhome. On that trip I was running with just the newly installed BPD oil cooler. I saw oil temps pegged at 255 degrees a couple of times. After that I went to the dual oil cooler setup based on discussions with BPD (Bullet Proof Diesel) After installing the dual oil cooler setup, which consists of the new stock 9 row oil cooler and the addition of a BPD air oil cooler, things seamed fine on my return to Colorado later in the summer, very low temps at all times, I was very happy. but when I returned I noticed the coolant leak. Could the severe overheating have cracked a head? Is that why I am now seeing the coolant leak? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Conservative and Proud

Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee34 View Post
I don't get it?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:23 AM
information regurgitator

Start with the simple stuff...like the little piece of hose between the BPD manifold and the EGR delete. If it is hose clamped, check the tightness of the clamps.
Coolant will drip on top of the engine and work its way back there and drip off in that area
Old 02-14-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Start with the simple stuff...like the little piece of hose between the BPD manifold and the EGR delete. If it is hose clamped, check the tightness of the clamps.
Coolant will drip on top of the engine and work its way back there and drip off in that area
I don't have an EGR delete but rather the BPD EGR Cooler...But I am hoping that you're right and it is something loose in the plumbing and not a cracked head. Thanks for coming back with that.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 AM
information regurgitator

Even if that hose is the stock configuration, it can still leak. The ends that click into place have seals inside that can fail and drip coolant.
Haven't heard of a cracked head on a 6.0 that leaked coolant like that, so it is likely just a hose or something similar.
If you can't find the leak, you might have to put dye in the coolant to track it down.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:18 PM

Yes, and it started right after they put in the new oil stock oil cooler so it is probably a plumbing issue. Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Im dealing with a similar issue. Mine was leaking coolant from the starter area. Found out it is a cracked head. Diesel leaked into the coolant and ended up destroying some o rings and gaskets. Cant wait to get the bill for this one!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcknight69 View Post
Im dealing with a similar issue. Mine was leaking coolant from the starter area. Found out it is a cracked head. Diesel leaked into the coolant and ended up destroying some o rings and gaskets. Cant wait to get the bill for this one!
this is a bit of a different situation though. you are leaking coolant because you have diesel contamination. you have contamination because the head is either cracked or an injector cup has failed.

to the op, all you have to do is throw a pressure tester on it. you'll find it within a couple of minutes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.