My 6.0 just stalled out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 6.0 just stalled out

I have a 2004 6.0 that has been great. Today I was stopping at a light and it died, and would not restart. I finally got help off the road after about 30 mins, and went to start and it fired up. Drove for 1/2 mile, and it did the same thing. Came back 1 hr later and it fired up, then died again. Any idea what the deal is? Thanks for the help in advance. Matt

Last edited by mattski6.0; 12-15-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Have you had any recent maintenance to the fuel system.... i.e. did you have the filters changed?
Old 12-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i just had 2 injectors fixed about 1 month ago at the dealer
Old 12-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
My '03 was doing the same thing...funny thing is it happend when my mechanic and I took it out on a test drive after he cleaned the EGR. So I took it to the Ford Dealership the next morning and had the PCM reflashed which fixed it. That might be a fix for you...cost me about 200 bucks.

Is it throwing any codes?
Old 12-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

This may be the begining of all your problems. Cleaning the EGR did knowthing for my truck, I had to replace it to get it to run properly. Now my truck is in the shop w/blown head gaskets
Old 12-16-2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXCRAWLER View Post
This may be the begining of all your problems. Cleaning the EGR did knowthing for my truck, I had to replace it to get it to run properly. Now my truck is in the shop w/blown head gaskets
Dammit. I hate hearing that. Good luck with it Tex. You going to be stuck driving the Sammy 'till it's fixed?
Old 12-16-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattski6.0 View Post
I have a 2004 6.0 that has been great. Today I was stopping at a light and it died, and would not restart. I finally got help off the road after about 30 mins, and went to start and it fired up. Drove for 1/2 mile, and it did the same thing. Came back 1 hr later and it fired up, then died again. Any idea what the deal is? Thanks for the help in advance. Matt
know a guy that had a very similar experience recently..ended up being the HFCM..do you hear the pump run when the ignition is turned to run?

sounds like either HPOP(won't spray the injectors) or HFCM(no fuel to be sprayed)..
Old 12-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Jon

well

a good thing to think about first of is that when a 6.0 has a high pressure oil leak alot of times it will run fine until it cuts off then it usually takes an hour or more to start back up do to expansion and contraction of components. What i'm thinking here and maybe scott and marc can add to it is potentially the fuel pump. I say that because I have seen one several act like that. I could be off but it takes several times of cycling the key to get enough fuel pumped to start the truck, then it runs just far enough to burn the fuel that it did pump. Be a good thing to look at right after you get the codes pulled.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattski6.0 View Post
sounds like you have a problem with your high pressure fuel system more than likely..... It could be related to those injectors you had replaced (damaged snap rings) or it could be the STC connection on the back of the high pressure oil pump (early 04's dont have problems with this, late 04's and newer trucks do)
Old 12-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
a good thing to think about first of is that when a 6.0 has a high pressure oil leak alot of times it will run fine until it cuts off then it usually takes an hour or more to start back up do to expansion and contraction of components. What i'm thinking here and maybe scott and marc can add to it is potentially the fuel pump. I say that because I have seen one several act like that. I could be off but it takes several times of cycling the key to get enough fuel pumped to start the truck, then it runs just far enough to burn the fuel that it did pump. Be a good thing to look at right after you get the codes pulled.
could be fuel pressure related as well....thats true jon....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.