Started then died - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Started then died

My 2006 6.0L started then died. Usually starts good but idles rough 5-10 seconds then is smooth. Today I started the truck but it died. This happened three times. Now it fails to start at all. Batteries are new and turn the engine over normal. Suggestions? Never a problem before. Temps are mid 30's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

start by checking for codes with a device capable of reading manufacturer specific codes.
depending on what you find there, you'll want to view vital parameters. ie, ficm voltage, ficm sync, icp.

when you cycle the key on, do you hear the hfcm operating? located under the drivers side door, at the frame rail.
you can also remove the secondary fuel filter at the top of the engine, remove the ficm relay, and crank the engine. if you see air bubbles back feeding through the fuel ports, there is combustion gas entering the fuel system through either a stuck open injector, or a leaking injector sealing washer
Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 AM

Kaya, thanks! Yes I hear the hfcm operating. It's usually a little hard to start if it's cold and I've not driven it for a while. I try to drive it once a week at least but it's been sitting for about two weeks. The batteries are brand new, but the old ones usually needed a jumps tart if it sat for a couple days. Might have damaged the ficm. What device or scanner you recommend? Ive read posts recommending ficm repair.com if it's bad. It's stock motor so far with about 150,000 miles and it's been a very good truck.

Thanks, Bill
Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Yea jump starting these engines are bad joo joo because of the volage required by the ficm.
Scangauge is a on the shelf item available at Auto Zone for $160.00. It can see everything the PCM does (trucks onboard computer) for the money nothing beats the ScanGaugeII, now there are many to choose from that are nicer and have more values at one time going on. It depends on how much you are willing to spend,I use the scangaugeII myself and really like it because it sees pretty much everything exept: fuel pressure and exh temps. I have a complete list of all the PID,s for it if you wind up buying one.
As for your cold start issue the best oil by far for the 6.0 is a Synthetic 5W/40 the injectors run much better with the thinner cold qualities from it.
The other issue can very well be low voltage output from your FICM.

The ScanGaugeII is also a gauge setup when your driving the truck, you leave it plugged in to the OBDII port and you can monitor all the engine values. It's also a code reader so yea it's real handy and is why so many of us use it.
Good Luck with the truck.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.