Need some help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 05:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some help!

I am having troubles with my truck it starts ok but when I accelerate it is just missing like crazy. I had a new FICM put on last year now my scanner (which is a Actron) won't read anything. Before I had the FICM replaced my scanner worked on it. My truck is not throughing any codes but my machanic and I are tring to run some tests on the injecters and his scanners can't read anything either so he gave Bullitproof Diesel a call and they told him he needs a Ford IDS scan tool. So my question is, is the new flash for the FICM the cause of this and if so how does this affect my tuner when reading the out puts of the engine? Any help would be appriecated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

This may sound stupid, but check your fuses. Is your cigarette light working? That is on the same circuit as the OBD connector IIRC. I thought my AE was messed up on my son's truck but it ended up being that blown fuse.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

The Actron is just about useless for diagnosing these trucks. You need one that will read most of the Ford Diesel PIDs. As suggested, a tool like the IDS, is needed to diagnose problems beyond the ability of a good diesel monitor. The Ford IDS is out of the ball-park for most of us dollar-wise, even if we can get one or the keys for it. Maybe the next best thing is the AutoEnginuity with the Ford Bundle for $360 as a hard diagnosis machine. This one will let you do a number of the interactive test needed to properly diagnose injectors.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I had seen that on another post and had my machanic check the fuse and it was good but thanks for the input.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
The Actron is just about useless for diagnosing these trucks. You need one that will read most of the Ford Diesel PIDs. As suggested, a tool like the IDS, is needed to diagnose problems beyond the ability of a good diesel monitor. The Ford IDS is out of the ball-park for most of us dollar-wise, even if we can get one or the keys for it. Maybe the next best thing is the AutoEnginuity with the Ford Bundle for $360 as a hard diagnosis machine. This one will let you do a number of the interactive test needed to properly diagnose injectors.
I see you have a Dashboss I just ordered one the other night. Will it help to see what the injecters are doing? Thanks for the info.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Premium Member

DB gives a vast amount of PID info and is very easy to set up. However, it is not an interactive diagnostic tool. To troubleshoot the injectors, you need to be able to commanded the injectors, do a buzz test and perform a contribution balance test. Another very useful function is the ability command the IPR for HPO diagnosis as well. Right now, the best/least expensive option is AE or take it to a shop that has the tools to do it. However, the test should be performed cold, so expect to leave it overnight. If it is just done warm, it often misses stiction issues.

In the future it may be possible for a monitor like DB to do some of these interactive tests, but programming and testing cost money. Someone will have to pay for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.