intermittent rough idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
intermittent rough idle

hello everyone. i have been trying to fix an intermittent rough idle and occasional idle surge since the dealer did studs in my truck. i never had this problem until after i got the truck back from them. they pulled the engine to do the studs. sometimes it idles just fine. other times it just runs a little rough and sometimes (not as often) it will jump 100 or so rpms and lunge forward. it also seems to run a little rough when on the highway and with no load but just maintaing like 1600 rpm. icp and pigtail are new, ipr and pigtail are new. i pulled the ipr checked the screen and it was fine. replaced the screen and o rings on the ipr while i had it out. the hpop is new. 4 new injectors and 4 with about 30,000 miles. new cam sensor too. i hooked up ae while it was idling rough and everything looked fine. it did not surge while ae was hooked up though. the truck runs awesome otherwise. starts fine, and never stalled, yet. i do think my y pipe is cracked and plan on replacing when the weather warms up a little. anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: intermittent rough idle

I would check fuel filters and verify fuel pressure across the driving range. Do you have a monitor?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Fuel pressure never goes lower than 58#. All filters and oil are new. I have AE and everything looks good while driving and even when it is idling rough. Although I have not had it surge while monitoring it. There are no codes. It only seems to do it after it is warmed up after 20 miles or so. Then 5 minutes later at the next light it idles fine. 10 minutes later it idles rough. And so on. I have no power loss anytime. I am gonna check my maf tube for carbon build up but I almost am leaning towards a harness issue. I never had this problem until after I got the truck back from the dealer after they had the motor out. I also noticed that my boost seems a little low lately. In the first 3 gears it stays around 22# then will climb up to 28 or so in the higher gears. When I had the turbo apart 100,000 miles ago I noticed my unionson ring was worn a bit and i am pretty sure that it needs to be replaced now but can that affect idle? It has not stalled on me yet but feels like it could.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Maybe try you cam sensor??? I heard somewhere around that the sensor could cause rough idle and also could cause the engine to "skip a beat" I'm about to go get a sensor for my truck cause it just decided to start skipping, not acceptable!!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The cam sensor is new too.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

update. i think i fixed it. yesterday i changed the oil. and the fuel filters. i only have about 3000 miles on the truck since all this work was done at the dealer. i put in mobil 1 5w40 synthetic which i have been using for a couple of years now and the problem seems to be gone. after changing the oil i filled the empty oil containers with the used motor oil and it looks like i was about 3 quarts low. i never checked the oil level after getting the truck back from the shop. the fuel filters were supposed to have been replaced at the dealer too when they did the studs. i don't think they were. i am so unhappy with the work the dealer had done to my truck. here is a quick run down on they're bigger mistakes.

1. they forgot to replace my icp sensor and pigtail. (i replaced it myself)
2. they forgot to replace my oil cooler while they had it apart. (had to bring it back and they did replace it....i think)
3. they had pulled the front end of my truck off to pull the motor. now my hood won't open right. the gap between the grill and hood is way off.
4. part of my wire harness was rubbing on the serpentine belt cutting into wires. luckilly i caught this one quick.

but enough crying on my part. i put about 60 miles on the truck yesterday and not a single hiccup. in fact at 203,000 miles i think i have to say that this truck is running better than i can ever remember.

thanks again to everyone on this site.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

similar issue

I am experiencing the same issue. After filling my truck with diesel full of water a few months ago I Installed all new injectors (1 was bad figured all could stand to be replaced) I used it as an excuse to go with stage 1 injectors. I also Replaced fuel filters, changed the oil, and drained the fuel tankl. Now when the engine warms up the truck runs rough at low rpms. When I step on it seems to come out of it and run fine/ pulls strong. do you think replacing your fuel filters fixed the issue or the low oil was causing the problem? heading out now to check my oil level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.