Oil leak from top down to bell housing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil leak from top down to bell housing

I bought an 04 f250 with the famous 6.0 leaker engine (160,000 miles) and soon after noticed a small leak about 6 or 7 drips after drives, then stops after it sits for a while. It comes down the bell housing on both sides. I started looking online for possibilities on where it was coming from and I think the first thing everyone thinks is it's the rear main. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a mechanic and he told me 9 out of 10 times it is coming from the top of the motor. Keep in mind he does not regularly work on diesel trucks so he is not that familliar with these. I have been checking the oil level over the last month and It has always been over the max level which I found odd since it has been dropping little spots after evertime I drive it. I read about these engines making oil but I don,t think that was the case the oil does not smell like diesel. I think it was overfilled before I bought it. The guy I got it from said he just had the oil changed. Anyway I drained 2 quarts out of it 2 days ago and that brought it down to the max level on stick. I drove it around yesterday and the same thing everytime I parked drip drip. So today I brought it to my friend the mechanic and he put it on his rack and it's definitely coming from the top rear of the motor. It's very tight and very hard to see but the only thing I can see is sludge on the top rear under the turbo on the intake and in that general area but nothing fresh. I thought if the oil was overfilled it would blow out the turbo which would explain all the sludge under it in that area but we called a tech at ford and he said that overfill would not blow out the turbo. Does anyone have some insight to this situation, I have been reading on here looking for some answers and I know some of you guys really know these engines. I know nothing!! any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

leak from ICP sensor

I had a 6.0 a few weeks ago that was leaking oil from the ICP sensor which is located at the top rear of the engine below the turbo in the HPOP cover. I believe the oil was coming out of the sensor terminals at the sensor connector.
I also had one several months ago that was leaking at the turbo oil drain tube because the turbo pedestal bolts had vibrated out and the turbo had moved.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My brothers 03 had the exact same problem minus the oil being overfilled. It was the ICP Sensor and the IPR leaking oil.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:37 PM

had a similar leak with my 6.0, and found that the rubber tube going to the turbo
(air to air) had a tear in it, this is the tube on the passenger side going to the turbo, a quick trip to ford an 80.00 later no more leak, also have not had a egr fault code since replacing rubber hose
Old 12-13-2007, 10:18 PM

Most likely the ICP as everyone prior has said, If it were the rear main, It will be coming down the center of the tranny by the rubber inspection plug, not on both sides of the bellhousing.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank's guys for the quick responses! I think it might be the ICP like some of you have said and I was wondering if there is a certain way to find out for sure or do you have to just start ripping it apart. If it is the ICP what am I looking at to change it, would my mechanic who is not greatly familiar with this motor be able to change it or do I need to make a dreaded trip to Ford$$$$? Also does anyone know what would happen if the oil was overfilled, would it come out the motor anywhere? Thanks again for your help with my questions!
Old 12-14-2007, 12:28 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kingranchfx4 View Post
Thank's guys for the quick responses! I think it might be the ICP like some of you have said and I was wondering if there is a certain way to find out for sure or do you have to just start ripping it apart. If it is the ICP what am I looking at to change it, would my mechanic who is not greatly familiar with this motor be able to change it or do I need to make a dreaded trip to Ford$$$$? Also does anyone know what would happen if the oil was overfilled, would it come out the motor anywhere? Thanks again for your help with my questions!
When my icp started leaking oil, it ran like crap and stored a code indicating it was the ICP Sensor...i would think that would be the case anytime it was leaking causeing a short in the circuit.
I don't think its your ICP if its still running good and doesn't have any codes. There are oil lines on the turbo that can leak but I'm not that familiar with all that so i'll let someone smarter than me answer that.
If you overfill the oil, none will leak out anywhere. 2 quarts overfull is nothing...
Old 12-14-2007, 12:30 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Oh and, if it were your rear main, the underside of the truck would look like the Exxon Valdeez spill.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

from underneath the truck above belhousing, unbolt the heat shield at the back of the valley and look at the rear sensor and connector in HPOP cover. Run it and watch for drips coming out of the connector. Semi deep 27mm socket to change sensor.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Jon

icp

Is your '04 an early build or late? In other words is the icp in the valve cover by the gp relay or not? If its and early it could very well be the icp. They dont have to run like crap to be an icp leaking. Also a cracked or loose upper cac boot at the turbo believe it or not can make a heck of a mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.