How long is your crank? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How long is your crank?

I have a new 2006 powerstroke. Since day one it has been slow to fire. Maybe it's only 2-3 seconds but it seems rather long. My Jetta diesel barely make one revolution before it fires.

I am waiting for the glow plug light to go out. it always starts, I'm concerned that the long crank time will be a problem in the winter.

Any words of wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Power Strokeaholic
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Clarksville,Ohio
Posts: 1,354
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i don't think its anything to worry about. mine cranks for a few second's too. as far as winter, i couldnt plug my truck in at all for two winter's. it wouldnt start only one time. so i cranked it for a few seconds, let it sit for a few and cranked it again let it sit a few. finaly started. there really isnt a point in telling you that other than don't worry about. if you are worried, have you asked the dealer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 559
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to trhland
mines the same way .sometimes it takes longer then other times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Medicine Lodge, Kansas
Posts: 411
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ndurbin
The reason a PSD well take longer to crank is off how the fuel injectors are set up. As they are fired off of high PSI oil and it takes acouple cranks for the HPOP to develope the needed PSI to fire. It should fire slower in the summer and alil faster in the winter (as the oil is thicker and will build PSI faster when cold).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: central coast, california
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndurbin
The reason a PSD well take longer to crank is off how the fuel injectors are set up. As they are fired off of high PSI oil and it takes acouple cranks for the HPOP to develope the needed PSI to fire. It should fire slower in the summer and alil faster in the winter (as the oil is thicker and will build PSI faster when cold).
EXACTLY right!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-17-2006, 12:07 PM
I don't know nuttin....

 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tuttle, OK
Posts: 17,153
Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In really cold weather if you wait till after the glowplug light goes out and THEN wait even longer till you hear that noise stop...i guess it's the fuel pump pressurizing - takes 30 seconds maybe. Then turn the key off and do the whole cycle again, then start it and it will bust right off every time. I'm talking like below 0* temps. The glowplugs stay on even after the light goes out if I'm not mistaken so given that extra time to heat up things helps alot. This is the case in any weather actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Medicine Lodge, Kansas
Posts: 411
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ndurbin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry
In really cold weather if you wait till after the glowplug light goes out and THEN wait even longer till you hear that noise stop...i guess it's the fuel pump pressurizing - takes 30 seconds maybe. Then turn the key off and do the whole cycle again, then start it and it will bust right off every time. I'm talking like below 0* temps. The glowplugs stay on even after the light goes out if I'm not mistaken so given that extra time to heat up things helps alot. This is the case in any weather actually.
I believe, I could be wrong tho, that they stay on (keep cycling) when the ambient temps. are below a certain temp. and the vehicle is stopped or under 15 mph. My memory is alil fuzzy so I don't know if all of that is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Power Strokeaholic
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Clarksville,Ohio
Posts: 1,354
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry
In really cold weather if you wait till after the glowplug light goes out and THEN wait even longer till you hear that noise stop...i guess it's the fuel pump pressurizing - takes 30 seconds maybe. Then turn the key off and do the whole cycle again, then start it and it will bust right off every time. I'm talking like below 0* temps. The glowplugs stay on even after the light goes out if I'm not mistaken so given that extra time to heat up things helps alot. This is the case in any weather actually.

thats what i had to do. but still took a while. probably need a few(glow plugs) new uns. well see what happens this winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: central coast, california
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndurbin
I believe, I could be wrong tho, that they stay on (keep cycling) when the ambient temps. are below a certain temp. and the vehicle is stopped or under 15 mph. My memory is alil fuzzy so I don't know if all of that is true.
no nate, they time out at a maximum of 90 seconds and never turn back on untill the next key cycle. Your thinking of the air intake heater....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Medicine Lodge, Kansas
Posts: 411
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ndurbin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
no nate, they time out at a maximum of 90 seconds and never turn back on untill the next key cycle. Your thinking of the air intake heater....
Ah well 1 outta 2 aint bad for a Cummins guy............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors