New Black Onyx Head Gaskets - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Black Onyx Head Gaskets

I am Studding out the "War Wagon" and was told that the NEW Black Onyx head gaskets are thicker than the OEM gaskets. They said they have changed their gaskets and fixed the problem of them being too thin. Has anyone else heard this?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
why risk it?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just installed them in my truck in the last 3 days. They look exactly like OE gaskets except the sealant is black instead of blue. These are very diffrent than the onyx gaskets.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
New Black Onyx Head Gaskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
why risk it?
Exactly. Go oem! How many heads of these new gaskets are on currently driven trucks? I bet they don't go through engineering / r&d as much as ford hg's do or have. Why risk it? Use ford hg's

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Emergency Services

Oem is the way to too much of a headache to replace if it goes south
Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

are the oe gaskets sold alone? i mean, without the head bolts?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:16 AM
The Silent Service

I also say why risk it.

The OEM gaskets and ARP studs have built 1,000HP 6.0L trucks without issues. As long as you take the time to get the heads to a machine shop, you won't have any issues.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Bump To Pass!!

^^^ This is absolutly true if the prep work is done right....
There are trucks out there with BO gaskets that have not failed. That being said they most likley will. VR discontinued the BO gaskets and has replaced them with the new verison that sinister is calling Black Diamond. My opinion get them from custom diesel. They are not re-packed and cost 150 for both gaskets. I think people need to do a little research before they jump on the dont use band wagon. You can get just the gaskets from an international dealer, or quick tricks, but at a cost of 150.00 a piece. I did the research on the BO gaskets the first time I studded mine and decided not to go with them and this was when everybody swore by them. I have done the research on these new ones and feel confident they will last. By the way the dealer, and international for that matter will stop making these gaskets and turn over the tools and rights to the highest bidder. From what the VR rep I talked to hinted this may have happened already, but couldnt say for sure. My point is the BO gaskets were badly made for the mass public. If your deck surface was perfect and your heads were perfect they might have made a good replacment. THE BO GASKETS HAD NO SEALANT!!! This is the biggest issue with them, and they relied on the metal crush rings to seal them. Only time will tell but if you put a "black diamond" gasket next to a ford I challange you to find a diffrence between them besides the sealant color.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just FYI the Platinums are made on the same line as OEM from Strictly deisel

VR never admitted fault on the BO's so I won't trust the "fixed" gaskets they have set their track record for Me but the RCD's platinum I would use

Quote:
Rivery City Diesel Platinum Series™ head gaskets are manufactured side-by-side, in the same facility as the factory Ford OEM head gaskets. Platinum Series™ head gaskets are built to the exact same specifications and tollerances, using the exact same materials, as the OEM head gaskets. The only difference between the Platinum Series™ head gaskets and the OEM head gaskets is the color of the sealant applied to the gasket surface and the fact that you are not paying for torque-to-yield bolts that you are just going to throw away anyway. These head gaskets have held over 800hp when used with head studs and proper cylinder head milling (to ensure a perfect gasket surface). If you want the best head gaskets available for your 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel, without spending money on parts you have to throw in the trash, Platinum Series™ head gaskets are what you've been looking for!

These gaskets are available for both the early "pre-commonized" 18mm dowel (up to 01/10/2006 build date / engine serial number 6,000,000 - 6,723,721 or 1 - 299,092) and the later "commonized" 20mm dowel (01/11/2006 and later build date / engine serial number 6,723,722 and higher or 299,093 and higher) 6.0L engines. The different serial number series represent the different plants where the engines were assembled. Just make sure you select the correct dowel size below when ordering!

Gaskets are sold in INDIVIDUALLY (with 2 dowels each). We highly recommend doing both gaskets at the same time, but we allow you to order them individually in case you only need one for some reason. If you are doing both sides, MAKE SURE YOU SET THE QUANTITY TO "2"!

Last edited by ZMANN; 02-10-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Bump To Pass!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
Just FYI the Platinums are made on the same line as OEM from Strictly deisel
The platiums are made by VR just re-boxed like the sinister black diamond. The easy way to tell is there is a serial number in the bottom left corner just like the factory gaskets. There will be a stamp next to it. On the OE gaskets it is a ford oval, on the VR gaskets it is a oval with VR in it.
john galt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.