Started running rough now wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Started running rough now wont start

I have an 05 F350 was driving down the highway the other night and the truck started running rough. I had a previous issue with it when I would come to a stop sigh it would act like it was loaded up and once it cleared out it ran fine. After it was acting up the other night I got home shut it off and it wouldn't restart. I let it sit over night and pulled the EGR out right away cleaned it up was dirty but didn't seem as bad as others have mentioned. Reinstalled it truck fired up and sounded great and drove down the road fine for pry 45 mins and it started acting up again. It was real sluggish leaving stop signs and acted like it was missing but would still start up. This morning it started up same issue drove to work parked it sat all day came back to the shop started it up pulled it in the shop and pulled the EGR valve back out noticed it didn't move very easily at all. I cleaned it up again and was moving freely but noticed it rattled if I shook it possibly something broke? But now it won't start at. It cranks over and acts like is fires but won't run don't notice any smoke out the pipe either while cranking. Possible high pressure oil problem or cam sensors or Icp? FICM and battery's were replaced within the year. Called the dealer and immediately the want to replace all 8 injectors. I want to know what you guys think a true reliable source.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Do you have gauges to monitor engine values??
How long since you changed fuel filters?
Have you tried unplugging the ICP and see if it will start?
fuel pressure is another question?

You need to get gauges on it and also scan for codes.......
Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Filters have less than 1000 miles on them. I did unplug the ICP and it didn't change a thing. I also unplugged the EGR valve as someone stated on a different thread and it didn't make a difference either. I should have said last time I had it running I unplugged the ICP and that's when it stalled out and hasn't started since. I am not real familiar with working on Diesel engines but but there is no check engine light on or anything. When I was driving it last it would blow smoke when it it was acting up but not near as bad when the FICM went out.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

You need a monitor or you're dead in the water - just guessing. If you are mechanically inclined and you plan on doing the diagnostic and/or repair work yourself, go get an AutoEnginuity with the Ford Bundle. If not, take to a trustworthy repair facility.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't plan on doing anything that will be to intense on my own I have a friend that's a mechanic that will probably do the work if not covered by my warranty. I'm just looking for some easier things I can try on my own before I go to the dealer where they told me they would need 4000$ for new injectors.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also noticed after this problem started it wouldnt kick into hifh idle either
Old 02-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Put a reader on the truck today got the p2285 code. Low circuit on the Icp. I pulled it out and it was soaked with oil. Called the dealer said I need a new sensor and connector cost 310$ from them is that resonable or is there a better place to buy from.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

Re: Started running rough now wont start

Try auto fair ford. They are a site sponsor and give up to 30% off. Just pm them.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App
Old 02-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok need some more help. Put a new ICM in didn't change the connector turned the truck over it fired right up ran great for a few seconds now won't start again. After that I put a new EGR valve in and it didn't change a thing. Any other suggestions probably a new connector for sure.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After it ran for a few seconds it died.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.