2006 6.0 Hot Start Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2006 6.0 Hot Start Problems

Truck was bulletproofed about 3,000 miles ago. Installed arps, oem head gaskets, egr delete, stc fitting, stand pipes, dummy plugs, and 8 warren 155s. Originally the truck would fire right up cold or hot no problem. Now it wont start once the oil temp gets over 170. Even when the oil is 190 it will still build about 300 psi of oil pressure. So that sounds like the typical hpo leak, but here's where it gets a little interesting. The truck is throwing a P0148, and I couldn't find a lot about this code but I did come across this thread.

05 6.0 Rolls Black smoke; DIES; No refire; Code P0148

In there he talks about how his truck won't restart until it cools down, just like this one. The only thing is this truck runs flawlessly once started, and has never missed a beat.

I went ahead and removed the ICP and applied shop air, and I thought there was a leak on the pass valve cover. So I pulled off the oil rail, reset it, made sure it was seated and torqued right, then put in a new dummy plug and stand pipe. While I was in there I pulled the stc fitting and reinstalled it too, but in the end it didn't change anything. Where should I be looking now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 02:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

When, why did u have 300 psi hpo? Cold, hot? And when you did hpo leak test, were u controlling the ipr closed? Do you have any datalogging info? And it looks like that OP of the link had code p0606 which was a pcm failure, but you dont have that code, correct?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-03-2013, 03:39 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It will only build 300 psi when trying to start while hot. I don't have the ability to command the ipr closed. I tried to apply 12 volts to it, but not sure it did anything? What data logging info should I get? The only code I have is P0148.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Because of that code, i would bring up everything to do with fuel and high pressure oil.. Make sure you have all cmp ckp ficm and pcm sync. According to 6.0 bible a failed cmp/ckp sync will default ipr to 15% dc. Make sure you have ficm sync along with correct logic pwr, vpwr, and internal injector voltage(no less than 47v). Also Check your desired fuel mass, pulse width and injection timing. The 6.0 bible along with old threads will tell you what all those reading should be at crank. And of course check all the steps in the hot no start sticky. But yea imo i think your on the right track with a hpo leak.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.