Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

starvin for air??

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  5150scott 
#1 ·
Howdy,

Got a 2005 F350 that is now 3 years old. About a year or so ago (at 50,000 miles) I got a recall notice from Ford about an EGR valve problem. Took it to the dealer and they did what they do -I assume cleaned or replaced. After getting the truck back I felt that I noticed 3 things: 1-more turbo lag, 2-less power when towing, 3-a bit less fuel mileage. Took it back to Ford and they said there were no codes so they did nothing. I have since learned that BG makes a contraption that will clean the EGR before too much carbon builds up starving the truck for air. I have 2 questions:

1 - has this EGR thing been a normal problem that Ford has not admitted to being a problem?
2 - has anyone heard of or seen the BG equipment in use and what were your results?

I have some literature on this thing but don't want to shelve out the $1200 to buy one if it isn't going to help me. Although the truck runs down the road fine, it tows like a gasser. My trailer only weighs 6000lbs and you'd think it weighed twice that much. I live in Colorado so I need all the air I can get.

Scott

See less See more
#2 ·
we have a new tsb to replace the egr not clean it and ford has had and will always have a problem with diesel egr valves and we do not have the bg egr vlave cleaning kit yet
when you bring it to the ford dealer make sure they check and clean the idle air temp sensor inthe intake called the iat2 and fuel pressure (45 to 55 psi under load i set them up at 55 to 60 psi)also engine oil temp and engine coolant temp and within 25deg hot

#3 ·
Thanks - one more question...
When I talked to Ford they mentioned that there was a "black box" type of machine they could hook up to my truck so I could go out on the road and they could record the performance. Is this true?

I know it sounds like I have doubts about my service guys but I think their gasser mechanics are behind the 8-ball. I really want to believe my diesel guys know what they are talking about.

#4 ·
The black box is a data recorder that they can install. When the truck acts up you push a button and the box will record several minutes of data for the tech to analyze.

#6 ·
Fun thing with EGR valves on diesels, NONE of them like it... Doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, they all get dirty from diesel exhaust... I've seen some mods for various brands of diesels out there that put something inline to remove and "liquid" fumes which seems to keep things much cleaner.... I doubt the design of all EGR connections allows for this modification...

Ken....

#7 ·
The BG system sounds slick, but I have my doubts. The rep was here at our shop a few weeks ago trying to sell us the tool. He said it takes 45 minutes to clean the EGR cooler side then you remove the intake elbow and it takes another 45 minutes to do the intake side. It sounded like it's an automated process that once you set the machine up it does not need to be attended to until it's done it's cycle.

He tried to convince me of all the savings we would see from being able to fully clean the EGR system without going to the dealer and paying the $100 deductible. I don't know of any dealers doing this yet nor have I seen a bulletin from Ford suggesting such a thing. Besides the only 6.0 in our fleet is a F550 and when we pulled the EGR valve at 54K miles it was extremely clean! That truck seems to get worked hard enough to keep itself clean. I run the snot out of my truck, but I have still needed to clean the valve twice in 29K miles.

#9 ·
Whats wrong with a $5 can of carb cleaner and doin it yourself? Thats what I did and it took 15 minutes. Came out shining like new.

#10 ·
The tool that BG has doesn't clean the valve itself but rather the intake and the EGR cooler passages. I agree that cleaning the valve itself is simple but some intakes/coolers need a little more attention that that. I'm still not paying $1,200 for the tool and I bet most dealers won't be either.

#11 ·
Thanks for the advice. I too was worried that the tool may just be a $1200 waste of money. I guess I'll take at the EGR myself and see what I can do with it.

Sounds like this is all standard stuff in the diesel world. It just pains me that my truck seemd fine, to me at least, until I took it to Ford under a recall notice. I guess if everything I've been advised to do/look at turns out alright I will have to look into a performance chip. Any suggestions? I want towing power as I get enough speeding tickets....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.