Turbo only working some times. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo only working some times.

I have a 2004 F250 with an EGR delete, and I just replaced a turbo boot that was busted, also changed oil and new fuel filters. When I let the truck warm up, in Park, I will hold it to the floor and it will go anywhere from 2500 rpms to 3000, but I never hear the turbo spool up. After driving it around it will start working.

Any ideas on what is causing this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 12:13 AM

You could have restricted oil flow to the vgt or a bad vgt or stuck vanes/dirty turbo or too thick/heavy weight oil for your current weather conditions. any or all of the above.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If u have a monitor, check ur ebp pressure. I am having the same issue. Sometimes my ebp will stay at about 16 psi no matter what causing my vgt cycle to stay full open at 15%. I am about to pull the epb sensor and clean the tube hoping that will fix the issue.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 PM

Just changed oil to rosella 10w30 and we are having 40 degree to 70 degree weather here in south MS.

I have a spartan dash daq on my 08 f250 ill hook up and see if I can read the ebp
Old 02-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Take a look at the tubing going to the ebp sensor, may be plugged up with soot. On drivers side exhaust manifold switch is at valve cover height, tubing is 5/16 SS IIRC
Old 02-03-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
Take a look at the tubing going to the ebp sensor, may be plugged up with soot. On drivers side exhaust manifold switch is at valve cover height, tubing is 5/16 SS IIRC
Thanks, ill clean it out anyway.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 PM

Well I got a chance to clean the EBP Sensor, the sensor was pretty clean, but the tube was claugged in two different places, and the fitting that goes into the manifold was so packed up, I broke a screw head off screwing through it, took it out put it in a vice and took a nail and hammer to knock a hole through it. Bent the nail before it went through and got the broken screw off. After this the turbo works perfectly!!!

Just a helpful hint, brake cleaner doesn't do jack crap, only carb and choke cleaner worked.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Glad to see you got it running good, thanks for posting up the fix.

BTW next time you change your oil try going with a synthetic 5W/40 instead of (10W/30) Rotella/Mobil1/Delo400LE all make it and the injectors will love you for it, great cold start characteristics. Will perform at very low temps and up to 110 degrees IIRC, pretty much all temps here in the lower 48.
Walmart sells Rotella for around $20.00 a gallon by far the cheapest, I prefer the Delo 400LE for whatever reason it runs cleaner out of tailpipe leaves no soot on rear fender where the others do. They do claim it is a (LE Low Emission oil) but it does not soot up out the pipe like the others do..? Anyhow give that viscosity a try I'd be willing to bet you will never run anything else after you try it out.
Mark.....

Last edited by mhatlen; 02-18-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
Glad to see you got it running good, thanks for posting up the fix.

BTW next time you change your oil try going with a synthetic 5W/40 instead of (10W/30) Rotella/Mobil1/Delo400LE all make it and the injectors will love you for it, great cold start characteristics. Will perform at very low temps and up to 110 degrees IIRC, pretty much all temps here in the lower 48.
Walmart sells Rotella for around $20.00 a gallon by far the cheapest, I prefer the Delo 400LE for whatever reason it runs cleaner out of tailpipe leaves no soot on rear fender where the others do. They do claim it is a (LE Low Emission oil) but it does not soot up out the pipe like the others do..? Anyhow give that viscosity a try I'd be willing to bet you will never run anything else after you try it out.
Mark.....
Thanks for the heads up, I wish I would have took pics, but I have a 6.0 motor sitting outside that came out of my brothers truck to show everyone where it's located without all the clutter around it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.