losing coolant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
losing coolant

i have a 2006 powerstroke and i am running an sct tuned by elite. when i run it a little hard it loses about 2 quarts of coolant. its not getting hot at all. is this normal or should i have it checked out. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Banned

You have the pukes! It is most likely a bad oil cooler which will ultimately cause the EGR cooler to fail because it can't dissipate the heat fast enough. When the oil cooler gets clogged it restricts the coolant flow at the EGR cooler. When this happens the EGR cooler super heats the coolant flow that it does get causing it to flash boil.

The problem with getting the average dealer to fix this is that with the truck on stock tuning they can't replicate the puking problem. Eventually the EGR cooler will pop and they will have no choice but to replace it. Just make sure the oil cooler gets replaced at the same time. If not you will be in for the same problem again.

There is a slight chance that your degas bottle cap is not holding pressure, but for 2 quarts, I would believe that you have bigger issues.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:32 AM

ok thanks i figured there had to be something wrong
Old 12-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same thing with my 06. Sounds like you need head studs. Has it started whiseling at you yet?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:53 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if your headstuds are totally SHOT then you will get some whisteling.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:55 AM

WOW is it me or everytime someone mentions coolant lose its the ole head studs???
I beleive it is do to the egr as mentioned dont panic yet maybe a egr delete as some others are running will help..just my opinion a bump at least..
Old 12-30-2007, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Boil over at plastic overflow

This whole DAMN thing about EGR's and oil cooler boil over, makes as much sense to me as it did the astronauts with NASA filling the apollo capsules with pure oxygen back in the space race,.... eventually they figured it out, but I don't have that kind of time or money.
I am frustrated with all the problems that apparently plague the 6.0 power plant.
Tonight, my newly used, 66k mile 6.0 decided to puke out the reservoir some "hot magma" all over the engine!!!!!!
pissed me the **** off, anyway, I've heard about it in this forum but never paid to much attention, as I am completely stock, not chipping, nothing, I don't even drive it hard or tow a trailer. I've had it for abut 4 weeks, and its only given me, one check engine light that cleared by itself after 200 miles and a new tank of fuel.
Does anyone here (tech people would really be nice to get an answer from) know if this is typical, fixable or do i just need to take it back to the dealer (preferably through the showroom floor...like Bigfoot did in road house) for diagnostics. Any help here is appreciated as I drive this monster 4x4 200 miles daily
Old 01-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the coolant leak recent and just had the EGR cooler replaced last week. It fixed the smell I was getting in the cab, but still had the whiseling. Bought a new degas cap at auto parts store for $4 and that seemed to take care of that problem. Still need to drive it for a few more days, but so far no puking and appears as if EGR cooler fixed my problem. Mechanic did check over everything else and felt confident that I wasn't having any issues with the heads at this point.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

puking

What is the EGR cooler? some sort of small radiator like a oil or trans cooler? I've been reading a lot lately about these engines puking out the overflow, I also find that I have a sticker on my overflow (separate of the factory levels on the bottle itself) labeled "High and Low" and "ignore plastic bottle level marks" almost as if the factory or dealer type of sticker installation. As far as the whistling, I hear a slight whistle (even when engine is still cold) when I let off the throttle and coast, it lasts just for a second, but it doesn't do it all the time once warm. If anyone else has had this issue, please let me know repairs made and outcome,
Thx
Old 01-02-2008, 04:35 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The whistle is the degas cap needing to be replaced (as RugRat has said in his post above) and it sounds like your EGR cooler has taken a dump on you... Get it into the shop and have it replaced (as 720Deere has said).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.