2005 almost died now starts randomly - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 almost died now starts randomly

ok to make a long story short i was washing my truck with it running. poped the hood sparyed some engine degreaser on the engine sprayed it all down with the hose kept washing my truck about 15-20 mins later all of a sudden my truck loped a couple times with big clouds of black smoke so i shut her off thinking i got water in my intake or something dumb kept washing my truck didnt pay to much to it (ran perfect all day no problems at all) finished washing it took off my airfilter cleaned it and it looked fine. went to run out with my buddy to get some food started right up ran perfect for about a min maybe 2 then started to lope again revved it up to see if it would clear out it was really sluggish like something was holding it back and black white an grey smoke was coming out let it run for a min sounded really quiet to compared to it normally then it souned like it was gna die so i shut it down waited a couple mins tried to start no start just kept cranking and all of a sudden i wasnt getting the injector buzz when i would turn the key u can here the pump pumping i was getting fuel unplugged basically under the hood and blowed it out to make sure no water was in the plugs at all.all the fuses are good. couldnt get it just kept cranking and my scan guage just ****tied out so i have no moniter right now. new ficm not even a year old. messin with it for about 5 hours one of my buddys was on his way to come flat tow it back to my house so we closed my hood i turned the key to put it in netural and what do you know the injectors buzzed on started right up no loping or anything ran fine?? so i decided to let it run for a little idled for about 15 mins went a mile down the road just died like i shut the truck off no bucking hesitation all the power was there. turned the key no buzzing cycled it a couple times heard the injectors buzz started right up turned around headed to my buddies house again made it to his house. let it idle for a little same thing just died outa no where idleing. figured i would drive to my house my batteries were basically dead buddy gave me a jump let it idle for about 5mins drove it to my house about 5-7 miles away had all the power not running funny ran perfect didnt really go over 40 though just incase it shut off while driving i would have enough time to stop her. made it to my house with no problems shut it off and see if i heard my injectors buzz and i did the first time before it would take about 5 mins of cycling to finally hear the injectors buzz. plugged it in for the night to help charge my battires a little bit and keep it warm its about 45 50 degrees here an yesterday. me and my buddies were thinking something got wet under the hood when i washed off that maybe the ficm got a little wet or something and then when it dried out it was fine again?? im really lost with it havent tried to start it yet today tho does anyone have any other ideas that it could be? sorry for such the long story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Never wash you engine with it running! Water has a way of finding in to those delicate areas that look waterproof, but hate water.

Never wash your engine when it is hot. Depending where you spray, thermal or abrasive action can damage components.

Never spray electrical components or connections with high pressure water. See above. Water combined with soap or dirt can be an electrolyte. Anything can be affected for a short duration or can even kill critical components quickly (fried computer chip) or slowly with corrosion.

You might want to disconnect a number of sensor and plugs to dry them out. Then after putting it back together, try to run it. If it is still running erratically, put a monitor on it and trouble-shoot to the problem area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.