2003 f250 6.0 loss of power on acceleration rough idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 f250 6.0 loss of power on acceleration rough idle

Ok truck started running rough like it was missing and had no real acceleration the turbo was spooling but it barely got up to speed but it never stalled just really slow getting up to speed . Checked for codes with my SCT no codes. Took it to steelership they ran a diagnostic test this is what they reported,
Replace 3 injectors, found three injectors dropping out to -40-/-50 on power balance and fuel pressure is low.

Replace fuel pump and harness (found 3 injectors dropping out to -40-/-50 on power balance and fuel pressure is low.)

Replace icp sensor and connector ( found icp voltage reading towards low spec 0.18v possible icp sensor biased.

Power balance test found injectors 2,4,5 were dropping.
Fuel pressure flow test found fuel pressure 45/46 psi with valve open.
Ficim voltage is 54.5 volts.

So I replaced the icp sensor and the pig tail truck runs a lot smoother and starts very easy no rough idle. But still no power on acceleration. My question is if fuel pressure is low wouldn't it be low to all the injectors instead of just 3?
Would it be a big deal if I replaced my fuel pump with a Oem fuel pump for early 2003 6.0 because it had a fuel heater in it or should I get a newer model year pump with a wiring adapter that eliminates the plug for the fuel heater?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford new injectors and the fuel pump at the same time so would you do the three injectors or fuel pump first? Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Yes I would fix what is only bad now, the early pump should be fine too. But invest $38.00 and get yourself the updated fuel pressure reulator spring to keep the fuel pressure up where it needs to be.
If you wind up needing to do more injectors later so be it, get your pressure up now and you may not have to.

Oh now I got it, get fuel pump for sure first or you will be doing all the injectors, blue spring also a must. Injectors may do better with good fuel pressure.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

Yeah I did the fuel pressure regulator spring upgrade when I had the ficim done. They also said to replace the wiring harness for the fuel pump to but if I go with the 2003 oem pump it will use all three connectors so I don't know why they said replace the harness ?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock442 View Post
Yeah I did the fuel pressure regulator spring upgrade when I had the ficim done. They also said to replace the wiring harness for the fuel pump to but if I go with the 2003 oem pump it will use all three connectors so I don't know why they said replace the harness ?
Check yours for chafing and repair if needed, also clean any gease oil from it, clean connections are important. Put the new fuel pump on it and see how it runs, if you need to replace injectors still do that when you can. 5W40 oil is better for stiction issues not sure how bad yor injectors are but oil does make a difference with them.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 AM
Premium Member

Ford dealership said to get new harness I think because they said the three plug fuel pump was discontinued but I found 2 oem brand new fuel pumps on line from a ford dealer in Illinois. As far as oil goes I run Mobil one synthetic. A couple oil changes ago I put a bottle of hot shot secret in maybe I will run another bottle through.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Drove truck to work this morning and it left me stranded had to get it towed home as I was driving got about 2 miles from home stopped for red light went to accelerate through green light no power the started to really loose power but then slowly picked up speed then stopped for next light and truck stalled and cranked for a few try's then just went dead battery click all gauges and dash lights went crazy then never came back on. When I got off work put truck on battery charger finally got it to start revved the engine and it stalled here are the codes I pulled .....
P0278, P0562, P0603, P1378
New fuel pump is enroute so after that is replaced I have no idea except the 3 injectors help thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 05:27 PM

How is your alternator ??? how about the cables and connections, Those are mainly from loss of power also make sure transmission plug wiring is good and tight. There is also a rub spot under the air filter for the harness just make sure no exposed wires. longshot but you never know.
Alt voltage has to be checked for sure though.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:54 AM
Premium Member

Voltage coming out of alternator is 14.4 both batteries are about a year old I am wondering if the ford dealer left something on? Then we also had first stretch of cold weather and snow for the season and they had left the truck outside for that but I had it hooked to the charger yesterday once I got it started and revved it up in park it stalled out on the down slide of giving it gas and would crank but wouldn't start again so I hooked the charger back up and let it charge all night. So that is where it stands or sits as of now. Fuel pimp hopefully will be here soon.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Premium Member

Well put the new fuel pump in and new filters cycled the key 20 plus times cranks good but still no start tried to get it started till the batteries died got them on the charger now no codes either. ?????(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0, ficim, fuel pump, icp, injectors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.