Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How warm should i be running in the winter?

5K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Stumppy 
#1 ·
The past few weeks my truck 04 f250 has been running alot cooler than normal. Running down the freeway i never see above 180 on the coolant temp and 183 oil temp. The outside temp has been between 14-18 degrees. I was told this was why its running cold by a local mechanic. Just seeing if this was how anyone elses truck was running. Just wish it would run hotter because i need some heat in the cab.

#2 ·
What were the temps in the summertime? It may be fairly close to normal. 180° is enough to get heat in the cab. You have no heat?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#3 ·
The temps in the summertime were 196 to 200 coolant and 8 to 10.degrees higher on the oil. I do get heat just not alot. The temp ranges from 176 to 180 depending in how hard i get on it.

#4 ·
Than I would say your temps are close to normal for 18°. I would check your heater inlet/outlet hose to see how warm they are, it also may be a damper problem, clogged heater core, heater valve not opening correctly.

#6 ·
Even down to 18°?

#9 ·
Fwiw, I live down south, mine runs 188° in winter. I'm not used to those temps, lol. It is fairly new thermostat. Your summer temps look normal, maybe your thermostat is sticking a bit, if someone else reports they don't have a problem. It's fairly easy to change, and the truck will respond better with higher temps. I still think it's hot enough for decent heater.

#10 ·
It should be at approx 190 even approaching <10*f. I don't have a blanket on the front of mine, but it will climb to mid 180s then pull back regulate at 177, even at -25*F. I plan on waiting until the spring to re-check it and more than likely change it out.

BTW, the heat is great, and I mean GREAT with the ECT above 145. My best guess is your heater core is shot. Of course, it could be the valve not opening properly, if it is equipped with one. Check the supply and return hoses to confirm. If they are both close to the same temperature it might be the air mixer. If not, its the core.

#11 ·
Hey I got something right......ughhhh.

#13 ·
I've never done it, but someone here just changed one, he said it was alot easier than he thought it would be.

#14 ·
Not sure what your problem is, but at -10F, mine will still get to 192 ECT. Yours is running cold. That siad, even at 180 you should get heat in the cab.

MikeB

#15 ·
mine seems to run about 176-182 in the same temps as well. i suspect nothing is wrong just cold. but some cardboard infront of the radiator if you want it to run hotter. i like mine to run about 190 but our weather fluctuates so much that i dont bother with the cardboard. and as a side note i get plenty of heat from the vents i often turn the heat down after 5 minutes of driving.

#16 ·
I'm sure my thermostat is probably stuck open im going to change it and attempt to change my heater core. Also just to add some info my fan blows really hard on ac but the heat side really doesn't blow as hard as other trucks I've had. Any idea what would cause that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.