Advantages of deleting egr cooler verses Bulletproof cooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 04:21 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advantages of deleting egr cooler verses Bulletproof cooler

I just ordered the bulletproof oil and egr cooler and am wondering if I made the right decision on the egr cooler or should I delete it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Advantages of deleting egr cooler verses Bulletproof cooler

If you have emmissions testing that would be the only logical reason to have the bpd egr cooler. Otherwise delete.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had no choice since the dealer did mine under warranty they would only do a real cooler so I paid for the BPD unit

now if I were to do it again I would use their delete and cut the bottom of and EGR valve and put that in the stock location for visual testing
Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

I am in FL. No problem with legal. I just wanted to know what are the advantages of deleting. I am not interested in a hotrod, I just want a reliable truck.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

Great question! My "War Wagon" is getting ready to go under the knife and I am trying to decide which way to go. I have a BPD water pump on my truck and so far its worked great. BPD's customer service was top notch so either way I go I will more than likely go with BPD.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Advantages of deleting egr cooler verses Bulletproof cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatespread View Post
I am in FL. No problem with legal. I just wanted to know what are the advantages of deleting. I am not interested in a hotrod, I just want a reliable truck.
Typically, if it's government mandated, it's not in your best interest. Rule of thumb. Hehehe.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:30 PM

I did the bpd upgraded egr and now I wish I wouldnt have basiclly for 2 reasone. 1 it still allows the carbon and crud to get into your oil. Im looking into running a bypass filter and with out the egr pumpin in trash Id be better off but.... #2 you still have to clean and maintain the egr vavle itself. Not a huge chore but still ya gotta do it. If for some reason I gotta tear into the motor again Ill delete the whole mess.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:53 PM

when you think about the amount of particulate matter being pumped out of a diesel engines exhaust, it's easy to see that diesels were not designed to run egr without having a consequential effect on the engine. as we have all seen.
that being said, diesels produce extremely high levels of NOx under load. egr helps to offset these NOx emissions when it's most needed.

what it really comes down to is; do you want what's best for your engine? or what's best for the environment?
that, and the legality issues, of course
Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
I did the bpd upgraded egr and now I wish I wouldnt have basiclly for 2 reasone. 1 it still allows the carbon and crud to get into your oil. Im looking into running a bypass filter and with out the egr pumpin in trash Id be better off but.... #2 you still have to clean and maintain the egr vavle itself. Not a huge chore but still ya gotta do it. If for some reason I gotta tear into the motor again Ill delete the whole mess.
Living in California you have the smog laws so I am stuck with it, but I will say since I have been using Diesel Kleen in every tank the egr valve stays clean as a whistle i mean crazy clean even after 10K there is only a black haze on it. Intake stays cleaner as well so if your running a egr fuel treatment will help.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When your EGR cooler leaks it will blow your head gasket. Truck runs cooler and gets about 2mpg better without it. Been installing delete kits for about 5 years and fixes one major problem with the Power Stroke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.