No Boost? Bad Turbo? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 01:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Boost? Bad Turbo?

Hey folks, first post here. I'm helping my Dad diagnose his truck, as he doesn't deal with computers (I don't do well either, but I can get by). It's an '03 F250 with 92k miles on it, majority of it towing a 36' 5th wheel (he's retired and did the full time rv thing for a bit). Totally stock, and he babies the thing. Only problems so far have been a vaccuum pump and a starter motor wise. I was at his house over the holiday and he was telling me how the truck lost alot of poop. We went for a ride, and as soon as he started it up, you can clearly hear a hissing sound, and when we get out on the road, you can't hear the turbo at all and the thing is a DOG, I mean he has it almost floored to get up to 50 mph, and it smells BAD, like a smokey old 8V71 Detroit. I think his turbo is bad, I can't see anything off under the hood (man, is it busy under there) He pretty much wants to know what it is before he goes to the dealer, as he has a $100 deductible and he hates dealing with them. Can anyone help me and my Dad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 04:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Could be a loose coupling or something to do with the inercooler pipes???

Just a guess.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:33 AM

Definatley! check those real good and if you can get to the turbo easy, take the inlet tube off and check for play in the turbo and if it spins free.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:37 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

The turbo vanes may be sticking also, and in need a good cleaning. If you have access to a scanner.....get it scaned for codes.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Chech the CAC hose (blue one at the turbo), it could have a hole in it, usually on the underside. Also, this is a "03". VGT has to be learned. Have the batteries gone dead lately ? If so, the only way VGT can be relearned without computer access (assuming their are no faults in the system) is to get the engine to operating temp and let it IDLE for 20 -30 minutes, a/c off, parking brake on. Just let it IDLE and don't touch the accelerator pedal. The "03" is a very fussy creature. I hope this helps.

Semper Fi,
Power Stroke Master Tech
Old 11-25-2007, 07:26 AM
one day at a time

being as its not long for its warranty being up I'd definately take it in to a dealer you trust. $100 is a cheap fix and even if its something small you should be able to talk them in to at least cleaning your turbo for you. It might be a turbo problem as well and then you'd get a new one.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, I forwarded this to him and he's looking into it. Is there any dealers in the Huntington Beach area that are good? Ones to stay away from will be helpful also.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have had this happen and it was just the blue hose to the turbo starts to slip off. You cant tell until the truck is going. I took my clamp off, punched some holes in it to make it grip better and havent had a problem since
Old 12-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, he took it in and he said they found an exhaust "Y" pipe behind the turbo is cracked. I'm not familiar with the 6.0, does this make sense?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:01 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yeah, makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.