coolant loss and tea kettle sound. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant loss and tea kettle sound.

well,...i gues it is time.
first i would like to say that this forum has been very helpfull and i did do a lot searching
Things i,ve done in the past year is a coolant flush/backflush - restore only -cat ecl ec1 coolant - coolant filter - edge insight - SCT custom tune -fuelpressure meter & EGT meter.Car runs good and powerfull.
Delta,s ECT 182/189 @65 miles. 6-7 i ordered a new stat & housing - blue spring cause i,ve noticed a fuel drop to 41 on w.o.t.

last weeks i,ve noticed my coolant drops just a little bit i have added about a quart 3 weeks ago.Today i was on the german highways as you know there are no speed limits so i hammered it and after 10 minutes there it was...tea kettle sound when i was on the pedal,...when i got off it,..the sound was gone.So did a few bursts and sure it kept whistling.
Opened the hood and it was a good 1 inch below the minimum mark
(ps i filled up to minimum mark)

what a bad time,...i need my car to drive to Spain in 5 weeks and back to the Netherlands 2625 miles round trip,...and do it twice.so 5250 miles.

i do not think my precious ford will make it,now she,s sick.

I could use some help.

1 remove egr cooler,...just weld it up and knock the scoop out or a IPR gen2 kit?

2 i think my delta,s are fine should i need a new oil cooler while i am in there?

3 How can i test if my HG are not leaking and be sure it is a leaking egr only?

There are parts like Updated Hpop fitting - turbo downpipe - and all kind of o-rings and gaskets that i might need.

i want her up and running reliable again...(well it does for now,but you know what i mean)
before you throw parts at me,consider that parts are 2.2 times as expensive over here,...a friggin motorcraft oil filter goes for 39 euro,s elc coolant 160 euro,s...
Luckely i am mechanicly enclined so i do not have to pay the stealership.

sorry for the long post,..but i could need some help.
thanx guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
1 remove egr cooler,...just weld it up and knock the scoop out or a IPR gen2 kit?
3 How can i test if my HG are not leaking and be sure it is a leaking egr only?
First you need to find what is causing the loss of fluid. Since your temperatures are fine, I doubt your Degas cap is bad, but you will need it to operate correctly (18 PSI) for the head-gasket check. Hook up a T-fitting to one of the hoses on the Degas bottle and run a pressure gauge to a location you can see while you are driving. If your HGs are bad, as you increase driving load (put your foot down), the PSI will increase above 15 PSI. There is a sticky for the HG items needed.

Most EGR cooler failures come after a oil cooler failure, not before. However, it can happen. For the EGR cooler failure, you would see white smoke/steam out the tail pipe. To confirm this, park nose-low and remove the EGR valve. Inspect intake manifold for moisture. If you are still not sure, remove EGR cooler and inspect/pressure test. I don't have it, but I really like the IPR Gen 2 delete. I cut my scoop out and welded it smooth, but a simple plug for the V-band clamp would work (if you were keeping it to install a new cooler at some point).

Quote:
2 i think my delta,s are fine should i need a new oil cooler while i am in there?
If your delta is fine, there is no reason to replace it.

Quote:
There are parts like Updated Hpop fitting - turbo downpipe - and all kind of o-rings and gaskets that i might need.
Don't go replacing things unless there are problems, or you are at very high miles/kilometers. The regular exhaust and down-pipe are OK for moderate HP modifications.

Not too many trucks like yours in the Netherlands, nor X-stars either!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

so true,...x-stars maybe 11 or 12.We do not have epic boats here.
i,ve heard those wakes are massive.
p.s just sold my x-star,..and it hurts.But we are moving to spain.

84300 miles..

thanx for your info...i,ll search for that sticky

Last edited by RiverSide; 01-24-2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: miles
Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i hooked up a psi mtr and i can not get 15 psi on the meter.
i did some 0 - 60 runs and did some highway testing.
made a video,unfortunatly no sound,the cellphone mic is broken.

I also removed the egr valve and it is wet/moist inside the intake.
i cleaned the egr valve twice last 22000 miles and both times they where goey(sp?)but i thought it might be from the ccv.Today the valve was clean and shiny but i cleaned it just 2 weeks ago.
i,m a bit lost,i want to order some parts but i do not know if i need HG.
I removed the tune and go back to stock again.
Attached Thumbnails
coolant loss and tea kettle sound.-img_1020.jpg  

Last edited by RiverSide; 01-25-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

part 2

Old 01-25-2013, 07:31 AM
Premium Member

Your video is quite good, showing steady at about 8 PSI. It is highly unlikely you have a head-gasket issue. That is good news.

The moisture inside your intake is most certainly from a ruptured (but not too bad yet) EGR cooler. As you are probably aware, continued driving could result in catastrophic failure of the cooler and damage to the engine. Delete it or replacement it, your choice. You may want to order a new intake gasket, but it could be reused if it is not damaged. If you delete it, you can just leave the EGR valve in place or get fancy and weld it shut. However, some vehicles need the EGR valve signal for PCM calculations. In one engine I welded in an aluminum plate and the PCM was happy (SCT EGR selected off). With my newer truck I just left the EGR valve in place, happily doing nothing.

Good luck with your repair and move. Last time I was in Spain I was in Albacete (with the Air Force many years ago). I was surprised at how many true blonds there were. I guess the Vikings must have went inland for some of their shore leave near there 700 years ago!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Nally7.3Powerstroke
Do you have an air lift/vacuum gauge to hook up to your cooling system to test the cooler? and its kinda hard to tell from your video but it almost seems like your cap is blowing off pressure too low, almost seems worth it to just throw a cap on. Its your cheapest option.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:17 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: coolant loss and tea kettle sound.

Don't confuse the moisture in the imtake with years of oil mist that accumulated in the intake to make an oily soot goo. That was the case with mine. I had partial dry soot around the egr/inlet.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nally7.3Powerstroke View Post
Do you have an air lift/vacuum gauge to hook up to your cooling system to test the cooler? and its kinda hard to tell from your video but it almost seems like your cap is blowing off pressure too low, almost seems worth it to just throw a cap on. Its your cheapest option.
Good point, but I had asked him to make sure his cap was not venting below 18 psi. If the cap was venting at 8 PSI, then the test while driving would be useless. The second video seems to show it holding as some coolant comes back into the degas bottle when he lets off the pressure.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
Good point, but I had asked him to make sure his cap was not venting below 18 psi. If the cap was venting at 8 PSI, then the test while driving would be useless. The second video seems to show it holding as some coolant comes back into the degas bottle when he lets off the pressure.
true,but i can,t hear the cap venting doing 95 on the freeway and have the window slightly open for the vacuum tube.
next i,ll do a pressure test and see if the cap holds up to 15 psi.

but maybe it is best to do a egr delete anyway,or weld some freezeplugs in it.
the goo inside the intake manifold feels greasy/oil like substance.

the coolant must go somewhere,..does ELC leave a trace like the gold stuff?
There are no sillicates in Cat elc,how can you see it is leaking thru the cap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.