Died and now no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Died and now no start

Fired my truck up this morning (-30*C/-41 with windchill) and went back inside to let it warm up, I didn't hear it high idle like usual, so went back out, and it was not running, i tried cranking again but it would only stumble as long as i was cranking and would not fire up. It's way to cold to tear into anything right now but here's what I've checked so far.
-Black smoke from exhaust
-FICM voltage never dropped below 48v
-ICP psi was 1000+ while cranking
-no codes at first, but after another attempt it showed cylinders 1,6,7 injector circuit high
-FICM plugs appeared to be plugged in and everything else I could get my hands on

Another thing I noticed was when i turned the key to the on position the fuel pressure would jump to 68-70 psi, but roughly 20 seconds later when the fuel pump shuts off, I lost all fuel pressure.

It was plugged in overnight and fired up pretty decent until it died.Anyone got any idea what's going on here? Thank's in advance for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I hate to say it being cold and all but you need to find out why yer looseing fuel pressure. How are you telling that your looseing pressure? Do you have an aftermarket gauge? Verify that your also getting the correct HP oil pressure.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes I have a glowshift fuel pressure gauge which is reading from the test port. And I tried starting it again and now it is not reading any high pressure oil ( on CTS monitor). Yesterday it shot up past 1000psi when i checked. I am also not getting any exhaust smoke anymore. Now I'm not sure where to look.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so i've pulled the truck down to my shop and tried a couple things. I pulled the upper filter out and watched the bowl fill up with fuel, also drained the separator. I verified thats its getting roughly 1500 psi in the high pressure system, ICP volts were 1.8 -1.9 while cranking.

Then I unplugged the ICP sensor and tried to start it again, it stumbled for a bit then started up but ran very rough, puking black smoke, then kind of smoothed out a bit, quit smoking and died again. It seems like its running out of fuel, but not sure why it would start with ICP unplugged. Fuel pressure did not seemed to drop as the truck died, and the accelerator pedal does not do anything when running.

Last edited by gregmiller185; 01-22-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

Unless it is running, the fuel pressure will drop off after 20 seconds because the pump quits working. This is normal. If the start delay indicator stays on longer than the time-out for the pump, you need to quickly recycle the key on, wait a few seconds then crank to start.

You should have good fuel in Sask for very cold temps, but it is possible you have some frozen water or gelling happening. However, you mentioned lots of black smoke, this would tend to indicate you had too much fuel. This may mean you have stiction with the injectors staying open too long.

The ICP values are good, so no need to unplug it. If the ICP drops after it is running (<550ish) then you have a different problem. I hope you are running 5w40 or 0w40 synthetic.

If your shop is somewhat heated, leave it sit to warm up. Charge your batteries while you wait. It was -33 today near Winnipeg today, I know what you are going through. Sometimes it is better to just wait for a frozen truck to warm up.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok that's good to know the fuel pressure is correct, its funny I haven't noticed that before. The trucks sitting in the shop over night with a 2 amp charge. Ill give it a try tomorrow morning. I almost always just fill up at co-op's in town, but last time I was out of town and filled it with esso v-power, ran fine on the way home but maybe did gel up overnight. And yes I'm running rotella t6 5w40. Thanks for the info I appreciate the help.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I let the truck thaw out and it made no difference, and after reading and watching video's I'm really leaning towards either the ficm harness or ficm itself. Mainly because the only codes i can get are "injector circuit high" on cylinders 1,4,6,7 which all share the same ficm plug. The codes randomly pop up after cranking for a while and is usually just a couple cylinders at a time. Anyways, i have the ficm and harness off the truck, and will try a new harness if ford has one in stock tomorrow. The plug clips were broken before i got the truck, so I figure I might as well change it just in case it is the issue.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

Yes sir, that would be a good possibility. Funny how the really cold weather makes problems show up you didn't even know you had. It was -36 last night here. The truck was plugged in for 3.5 hrs this morning and it still didn't like me for a few seconds after ignition. I am going to get a load of oats for my horses.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if you didn't see any suspicious areas on the harness, it's most likely the ficm
Old 01-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well i've replaced the harness mainly just to get good ficm plugs, but it didn't solve the problem so I picked up a used ficm from another 05 truck and mine now starts but i have a constant cylinder 4 circuit high code and it runs like it has a dead cylinder. Also when I shut the truck off the injectors buzz for about 20 seconds like on start up. I made sure the injector plug is properly connected. Does it matter that the ficm has been in another truck? or am i most likely replacing another injector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.