PLEASE HELP.... "2005" Losing coolant somewhere... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PLEASE HELP.... "2005" Losing coolant somewhere...

I have a 2005 6 liter with 50,000 miles on it. Over the last few weeks I have gotten into the truck and the heater would not work (would not get warm) I checked the coolant level and it was down about a gallon or so, that fixed the problem. A few weeks later after pulling my gooseneck with a 20,000lb tractor on it I noticed the coolant level went down again. I do notice the very faint smell of coolant coming from somewhere. Its not throwing any codes and the oil and water temps are within 8 to 10 degrees of each other. I have a monitor on the motor and I also have custom tunes on the SCT tuner from River City Diesel. I normally run the truck on tow tune. I "assume" the EGR cooler is going bad? No coolant on the floor so its not leaking out. I did put a coolant filter on it at 35,000 miles and I also have a remote oil cooler on the truck. Any ideas would greately appreciated! I have noticed that the IPR EGR Gen2 kit is getting praise from the members of the forum.
I did change out all of the injectors last Spring and had them rebuilt, somewhat of a big job for a 50 year old with a bad back but it wasnt that bad of a job.
I assume this isnt as bad but please let me know what its going to take to do the job. Hoping the intake manifold doesnt have to come off or the turbo, so hard to reach all of the bolts and nuts in such a cramped space. Thank You for all of your input!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 02:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same problem - 2005 F250 losing coolant somewhere...

I have the same problem with my 2005 F250 w/134K miles. The EGR cooler was replaced at about 100K miles. My problem is very similar the only difference is the heat will work when coming off idle. When I come to a stop light and sit at idle for a few minutes the heat goes cold but as soon as I come off idle and in motion the heat begins to work again.

I noticed coolant appears to be leaking from the cap of the resevoir so I replaced it but I still have the same problem. I'm being told it sounds like a head gasket? If so, what should I expect to pay? When and if I have it repaired is there anything besides an ARP stud kit that should be added when the repair is made?

Thanks for any/all help provided in this matter.

Brian
Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 AM
Premium Member

The first post sounds like EGR... I'm basing this on the notion that you lost a gallon rather quickly. I believe if you pull the EGR valve and look inside the manifold, it may appear moist... especially if you're able to park in a manner that elevates the rear of the truck so any coolant in the manifold flows to the front. This will help you determine if the EGR is bad. The question is, why did it go bad? I would guess your oil cooler is clogged but if you have a monitor, you would've caught wind of theis with your oil and coolant temps.

To the second post, I would guess you have bad HG's but once again, the question is 'why'? Generally, a bad oil cooler will cause the coolant in EGR to become superheated which then doesn't flow well enough into heads. When the heads get too hot, they expand and the Tyorque To Yield (TTY) bolts don't have enough tensil strength to maintain their load allowing for the HG's to get damaged. If you caught the problem early, it might just be a HG job however if this has gone on for a while, there's a chance the heads are warped and then your talking more money. I think a HG job will be around $4,000 but I've seen it done for less. Best bet is to get ARP head studs as they're much stronger than the TTY bolts.

Hope this helps. I'm sure some other folks will chime in here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.