6.0 Not running right - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Not running right

Hello my name is Chad and I am a newbie. Sorry for long the story that is about to go down haha. So here is what has happened. My dad owns a 04 F350 4X4. It has the early 03-04 6.0. For a while now we have experienced issue with it "missing" and not firing up smoothly. After running some marvel mystery oil in the fuel and replacing the glow plugs it was working really well!

The problem starts just a few days after we got it running well. My dad goes to get fuel one morning and the truck dies a block from the station. Further inspection showed that he had got extreme contaminated fuel, like 30 gals equaled 20 gallons of water. The stations insurance paid for it to be "fixed". It was towed to the Ford dealer where they said they pulled the tank and flushed everything out. They ended up replacing number 2 and 4 injector and the FCM. My dad got the truck back and it still didnt work like it did before. I failed to mention he had bought the truck only two months before all this. My dad concluded that they must have reflashed the computer and took out a program from the previous owner that made it run better.

So now he has the truck back. He brings it to my shop to put a Edge programmer on. He tells me the thing has no power and drive like crap prior to the edge install. So we put the edge on and I take it for a drive. NO POWER at all! Just smokes and is doing 30 floored. So I decide to pull the codes with the edge. I get #4 contribution/balance code for the injector. I also get injection pressure too low. So I switch the edge back to stock and she only makes it another 1/2 mile and dies. Crank no start situation. Later after it cools down it will start and idle. I can run it with the pedal to the floor in park will only turn 1500 rpms!!

The truck gets towed back to Ford again. This time they say the fuel is contaminated again?!!! Thats hard to believe because I got fuel in my 7.3 same time he did and it runs fine. Ford calls back again. They ran a test on all of it. They say the injection pressure is too low. So we ask what pressure was the HPOP making a cranking? The mechanic says "800 psi". What?!! How is that too low? We also ask if the IPR valve was cycling properly and he said yes. He said that somehow they ran the engine and it would run on 4 cylinders but not 8. The techinician basically said that the HPOP does not have the volume to run all 8 injectors....My question is..Is this answer bull****? Or is it legit? I want to know my possibilities before I rip into this thing and replace the HPOP or other parts. My dad and I had also replaced the ICP switch when we first had problems. We have NOT replaced the IPR.

Sorry for the long story but I figured too much info is better than not enough!
Thanks in advance for the help guys :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ttt Anybody there??
Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cruddy fuel can definately kill injectors but so can bad ficm and low icp pressure.
But they could have not seated the oil rails correctly and be leaking there.

Multiple injectors can be ficm wireing issues but can be because the fuel system was not flushed propely of the contamination from the tank.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: 6.0 Not running right

Sounds like they are not sure what the problem is. I doubt seriously if it could be a volume problem. Water in the fuel could potentially damage all the injectors. Check all the ficm connectors. Check fuel pressure, and filters, i'm surprised they didn't replace the hfcm either.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys for the replies! I am beginning to wonder if the ficm went out. I have checked for volyage while on and cranking. Can anything else fail inside?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

Considering how this happened, dannyboy pretty much covered it. Read the stickies, you need a monitor. Sounds like your biggest problem is who is working on it.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

By monitor I am sure you mean a scan tool? I am looking at a AE or maybe a hand hold unit. Either way if I get values could you guys help me determine on where to look next?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They also had replaced the HFCM. The static pressure was said to be fine..again trusting the monkeys at Ford..
Old 02-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

If you own a 6.0, a monitor is necessary.....Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.
You can pickup a scanguage II at autozone for $160. They lsck in code reading though. We help people every day here, most especially if you can get some values on icp and ipr% and pull stored codes. If you can see the pump is new, check your filters also.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We checked filters and pressure. All is well there. The scan tool you mentioned has the live read out of IPR% and ICP pressure? Thanks for all the help! I am a noob so learning everyday :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.