If I had hair I'd be pulling it out! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If I had hair I'd be pulling it out!

Ok - first time poster but long time reader.

First diesel - 6.0L Powerstroke in a 04 Ford F350. Maybe not the one to start with eh?

Have had the truck for about 8 months. It has under 45,000 miles. Ran pretty well when I got it but shortly after started blowing the white smoke. After researching via internet I made the determination that it was the EGR cooler. A Ford Dealer backed up my diagnosis.

So I bought a new "upgraded" EGR cooler and stock oil cooler. Flushed the coolant as best I could (alot of it was going up in smoke) and set out to swap out these items. All went pretty well and after a couple cycles of the key she fired up and idled well. After a bit I noticed an exhaust smell in the cab (with heat on) and figured I had not tighted an exhuast sufficiently. After letting it cool I tighted up the Y-pipe and solved that issue. I drove the truck for a hour or so noticed some power issues but they seemed to be getting better then I threw a code P2262 Turbo -mechanical. After some research I saw several post suggesting a look at the MAP hose and sure enough I had forgotten to connect mine . So I fixed that (and cleared the code) and let her idle for an hour or so - sounded ok - a bit loud with some sucking and a bit of white smoke out the taile pipe (smelled like exhaust). Took her for a ride and noticed that when I called for power and got the turbo going and then let up off it I would get a loud banging noise from my drivers side engine compartment - almost like it was coming from the air filter. Driving a bit that too seemed to get a little better until I blew off a CAC hose (outlet side of the compressor) - so I fixed that. A bit further down the road I heard a load pop and a air rush noise but could find from where although I saw an exhaust "poof" from dirvers side of the egine compartment. I limped home and there she sits.

I am apppreciative to anyone offering suggestions as to my next course of action.

I have read about the VGT relearn - but I did not perform it, doesn't seem like my symptoms are ready for that step yet. Also when I pulled the old oil cooler the screen was not ripped so I don't believe all this couild be related to an IPR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like you may have to retrace your steps and check your work! The CAC boots and the mounting surfaces need to be cleaned and then reassembled, torquing to spec. The second noise could be the any of the assembly points where a gasket or clamp is involved. Remove the CAC boots and pipes to inspect. If it is not there, look to the intake gasket, if you removed it. The puff could also be from the exhaust y-pipe to turbo or EGR v-band clamps. It could even be a cracked bellows/flex joint.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks very much for your reply Twoicebergs - I will check those things later tonight.

I did replace the intake gaskets and torque the intake in the sequence specified in Ford's service manual. I was a bit sloppy with the CAC as I was being rushed out of gargage (as evidenced by my MAP fowl up and exhaust leak).

I guess that I am a little surprised at how crappy this thing can run witha loose hose or clamp. Do those sort of things account for all of my symptoms?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

[I think you already know the answer to that question!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.