Help! Replaced #8 injector, Ran great for a day. Now died and won't start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help! Replaced #8 injector, Ran great for a day. Now died and won't start.

I am hoping someone might be able to help shed some light on a situation that I am having with my 2005 F250. Yesterday I took off the driver's side valve cover to replace a bad #8 injector. I reassembled the truck and it fired right up after about 20 seconds of cranking. The truck had never ran better. I drove it for about two hours that night to help work all of the air out of the system and to give me peace of mind that the repairs were 100% correct. All was well when I parked the truck last night. I woke up this morning and went out to start the truck and it fired right up and dropped into a really smooth idle. About 20 seconds later the truck started missing really badly and eventually stalled. Now all I can do is crank the truck over and it sound like it's hitting on about 4 cylinders. I have a feeling that the stand pipes may be leaking since they were removed and reinstalled when I removed the HOP lines to get to the injector. I checked the ICP pressure while cranking and it would initially spike to 2000psi and then after 1 second it would settle at 1300-1400 while cranking. Is it possible that I have a stand pipe leak? Would the ICP reading still be that high if either the stand pipe or the dummy plug was leaking? I need to get this thing back on the road ASAP, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Help! Replaced #8 injector, Ran great for a day. Now died and won't start.

Sounds like a loose injector is allowing combustion gases in the fuel rail. Are you sure you torqued the injector down correctly and properly?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 PM

Hmm. That could be it. I was unaware that there is a specific process for torquing them down. Do you have any more info?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

Torqueing the injector is very important, I know that 03 and 04 are 24 ft lb, I think later years are 26ft lb. Let me warn you now to stuff tags in all the holes to prevent anything from falling down the engine. AGOOD T40 torx bit approx 2in in length is necessary. Too often cheap ones break and the pieces are lost in the engine requiring oil pan removal, or worse engine removal to find the pieces. There are great video's on youtube. And this you, can download the coffee table book...http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-06-08.php
Pull secondary fuel filter, hfcm fuse, and ficm relay. Crank the truck over amd look for bubbles in the fuel housing.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:17 AM

Thank you very much Southend!!!! I'll check for bubbles in the fuel later this evening when I get home from work. I'll post back my results.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:52 AM
Premium Member

Your welcome it's an easy check. You will want to check this out on monitoring also......Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.
Necessary on the 6.0.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 PM

Ok, so it took me a little longer than I originally anticipated to get to this test. But today I pulled the fuses and relays and watched the fuel bowl for bubbles. I only got a very few out of the bowl right when I started cranking it over. It was not a steady flow of air as I thought it would be. Is it still possible that the injector might not be sealed properly? Can I rule out a high pressure oil leak since my ICP is so high? I am planning on fixing the truck tomorrow after work so any advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks again!!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

If you have bubbles, you have a leaking injector seal. You can google the balloon test, to isolate what bank it is coming from, unless you expect it to be #8 anyways. If it only leaks a little, the truck will crank and run like yours, until the combustion gas finally overcomes the fuel then it will die. Sometimes if you let it sit long enough it will crank back up, then do it all over again, until it finally won't run anymore.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 PM

Perfect! That is what I was wanting to know. I'll be pulling her apart tomorrow and replacing the orings, copper washer (even though they were new 4 days ago) and properly torquing the injector. Hopefully tomorrow night I'll have some good news to report! I appreciate all of your help Southend!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

Welcome. Keep us updated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.