New oil cooler = HIGHER EOT temps?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 05:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New oil cooler = HIGHER EOT temps??

Looking for some advice on my oil cooler. I purchased a brand new oil cooler and an updated EGR cooler from Sinister Diesel and had it installed at a local garage (they were already doing the bed plate seal under warranty). I took the truck in with 46,500 miles and the EOT/ECT temp variance was around 8 degrees. At idle it would be 0. I get the truck back and driving it home at 40 degrees outside, my readings were 9-10 degrees of variance! At idle it is now 4-5. The ECT has been a consistent 190. I called up and let them know a new oil cooler should perform better than this and the guys started quoting the 15 degree TSB from .

Sinister without question, is sending me a new oil cooler because they feel it should have no more than a 4 degree variance when new, but is throwing a fit and refusing to warranty the product/labor to do it. (FYI - I paid the labor difference for the oil/EGR cooler to be installed). Also, keep in mind that the oil cooler I put in was a new upgraded oil cooler.

Anyone think there is anything else I am missing? Did not purge air out of the system? Do the new updated EGR coolers cause higher oil temps? Is the new cooler just a bad oil cooler? How do I get to spend their time putting in the warranty cooler?

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 06:20 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: New oil cooler = HIGHER EOT temps??

Depending how bad your cooling system was to begin with, this is not verry uncommon. If the dealer did a chemical flush, the debris that was loosened in the system went to the new oil cooler, and iirc ford actually does a flush after the oil cooler replacement not before. That is what you should clarify. It is suggested that a coolant filter be installed to try to clean the system up. This usually takes quite a few miles depending on how bad the system is. I would not install the sinister oil cooler, a recent comparison on here with the oem cooler was not good. One of the bolts even pulled out of the oil cooler while installing it. Stick with oem. The sinister updated egr cooler would not increase the deltas.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 AM

My cooling system was pretty good before we replaced the cooler with no problems and the tech said my intake was pretty clean before he did power washed it to clean it up.

I have a coolant filter from PMM on my truck now
Old 01-20-2013, 07:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Agree with southend. Find out if Ford did a chemical flush, and if they did was it before or after the new oil cooler was installed.

How many miles do you have on the new cooler and what is your ECT and EOT?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:09 AM

New oil cooler has about 50 miles on it. ECT is 190. EOT is 199/200.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think
you might have had a better chance if they would have supplied to cooler

even though it's an oem part and the 15 split is fords point of calling a cooler bad so

that's another sticky issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.