Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New oil cooler = HIGHER EOT temps??

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 ·
Looking for some advice on my oil cooler. I purchased a brand new oil cooler and an updated EGR cooler from Sinister Diesel and had it installed at a local :ford: garage (they were already doing the bed plate seal under warranty). I took the truck in with 46,500 miles and the EOT/ECT temp variance was around 8 degrees. At idle it would be 0. I get the truck back and driving it home at 40 degrees outside, my readings were 9-10 degrees of variance! At idle it is now 4-5. The ECT has been a consistent 190. I called :ford: up and let them know a new oil cooler should perform better than this and the guys started quoting the 15 degree TSB from :ford:.

Sinister without question, is sending me a new oil cooler because they feel it should have no more than a 4 degree variance when new, but :ford: is throwing a fit and refusing to warranty the product/labor to do it. (FYI - I paid the labor difference for the oil/EGR cooler to be installed). Also, keep in mind that the oil cooler I put in was a new :ford: upgraded oil cooler.

Anyone think there is anything else I am missing? Did :ford: not purge air out of the system? Do the new updated EGR coolers cause higher oil temps? Is the new cooler just a bad oil cooler? How do I get :ford: to spend their time putting in the warranty cooler?

Any advice is appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Depending how bad your cooling system was to begin with, this is not verry uncommon. If the dealer did a chemical flush, the debris that was loosened in the system went to the new oil cooler, and iirc ford actually does a flush after the oil cooler replacement not before. That is what you should clarify. It is suggested that a coolant filter be installed to try to clean the system up. This usually takes quite a few miles depending on how bad the system is. I would not install the sinister oil cooler, a recent comparison on here with the oem cooler was not good. One of the bolts even pulled out of the oil cooler while installing it. Stick with oem. The sinister updated egr cooler would not increase the deltas.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#3 ·
My cooling system was pretty good before we replaced the cooler with no problems and the tech said my intake was pretty clean before he did power washed it to clean it up.

I have a coolant filter from PMM on my truck now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.