6.0 smoke when hot - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 smoke when hot

I started my truck and everything seemed normal. After a short trip up the highway I got back to city streets and noticed a cloud of smoke behind me. I pulled over and still see the smoke coming out the exhaust but doesn't smell like coolant, i.e. no sweet smell. I had EGR cooler fail before, but this doesn't seem to be the same failure. First EGR blew steam like crazy. Is this the beginning of another failure? I checked codes and nothing. Hope you can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

Sounds like oil cooler signs. Have you checked the fifference between your engine coolant temp, and engine oil temp? If nore then 15 apart once up to operating temp your oil cooler is clogging, clogged. Clogged oil coolers cause multiple egr replacements
Old 01-19-2013, 10:48 PM

Good point. My next step to check that out, simple enough. Thanks for the input. Now just need some better weather up here.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

are you down any coolant?
you can pull the egr valve and have a look at it/inside the intake plenum. look for any signs of coolant contamination. if you see any signs of moisture in there, the egr cooler is done.
if you didn't do the oil cooler last time, good chance that it caused the same failure. repair the problem, not just the symptom.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya@bernhausen View Post
are you down any coolant?
you can pull the egr valve and have a look at it/inside the intake plenum. look for any signs of coolant contamination. if you see any signs of moisture in there, the egr cooler is done.
if you didn't do the oil cooler last time, good chance that it caused the same failure. repair the problem, not just the symptom.
Coolant is down, but still see some in the bottle. I only drove about a mile while smoke was pouring out. At least I got the truck in the driveway!!
I replaced the EGR valve about a month ago as it was stuck open with sludge, looked like melted black rubber actually. I have periodically been adding coolant, about 2 gallons in last 2 months. I was starting to wonder if head gasket were going, and pushing the coolant out.
As for the oil cooler and egr cooler, that was done under warranty, but I am not sure what they really did. The service advisor mentioned it but I didnt see it on the bill. I know the oil cooler is the culprit for the EGR cooler failures. I guess its time to pull it apart myself. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 PM

if you pulled the egr valve a week ago and it was covered in sludge, that's where your coolant and smoke is coming from/going
Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 AM

I would agree with the egr cooler except he states the smoke doesn't smell like coolant, no sweet smell. Maybe he has 2 problems going on a small coolantleak and then fuel issues causeing the heavy smoke. Maybe masking the coolant smell.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
if you pulled the egr valve a week ago and it was covered in sludge, that's where your coolant and smoke is coming from/going
I'm going to pull the cooler this weekend and plug it. I heard somewhere that you get some expansion plugs and weld them into each end of the cooler. Then put it back together and run really easy till spring, after which I will be getting Bullet Proof Diesels EGR cooler and their oil cooler kit.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 AM

why do the same job twice?
also, you'll need to block off the egr port on the up pipe as well
Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
why do the same job twice?
also, you'll need to block off the egr port on the up pipe as well
Why would I need to block off the EGR port on the up pipe when the cooler will be welded shut at the inlet?? I know the "y" is still there, but the gases will hit a "brick wall" at the welded in expansion plug at the EGR cooler.
As for why do the job twice, I know I have to fix the oil cooler#1. That being said, I don't plan, and will not be doing ANY long distance driving or any load carrying. If the oil temps exceed anything above 190 at our -30'F temps then I have other issues, like even starting my truck for that matter. I just want my truck to be legal, and for now, it won't be but, it will be soon with some product from BulletProof Diesel. I got their FICM upgrade and it is awesome. Try it, you'll love it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.