5% Fuel in the Engine Oil - from oil analysis - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 5% Fuel in the Engine Oil - from oil analysis

I sent in an oil sample for the first time. It had been 6,000 miles since the oil change at the dealer. It was Motorcraft 15W-40. My first oil change since purchasing this truck used from a Ford dealer. Well, I got a call from the oil analysis lab, and obviously, he didn't have a lot of good news.

First off, he said I had 5.5% fuel dilution in the motor oil. I told him that I idled the engine a lot, and he acted like 2% fuel dilution is common for 6.0L Powerstrokes, but not 5.5. And while Ford claims that up to 8% dilution is okay (According to the lab) but he finds that 8% is obviously very bad news.

So did I do this idling the engine a lot? He says that this amount of fuel brings the oil down to around 10W-30. Do I have a bad injector?

The other thing is there was some silicon, but when he asked me if I used silicone sealant for the oil filter, I had no clue (I have never changed it). He acted like I should check the air filter, too, but it was new 6,000 miles ago, I believe.

He said the wear looks good, but maybe the fuel diluted signs of engine wear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anyone had fuel in the oil? Warranty

You think it's covered by the warranty?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
How many miles on the truck?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, I should have said. I bought it used with 79,000 in February. It now has just 85,000 miles. I think it's still covered for certain engine components, hopefully like an injector seal or something.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
yup your engine warranty should still be good. with a $100 dollar deductible
Old 11-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a 2005 F250 6.0 and I changed my oil (for the first time,I bought the truck back in August,used.)today,The oil smelled like it had fuel in it , although I don't know the percentage.The truck has 77200 miles.This is my first diesel.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Two questions about how you took your oil sample. Did you take it hot and did you take it midstream? If you took it cold it will always show a high percentage of fuel dilution.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Jon

oil test

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovetec View Post
I sent in an oil sample for the first time. It had been 6,000 miles since the oil change at the dealer. It was Motorcraft 15W-40. My first oil change since purchasing this truck used from a Ford dealer. Well, I got a call from the oil analysis lab, and obviously, he didn't have a lot of good news.

First off, he said I had 5.5% fuel dilution in the motor oil. I told him that I idled the engine a lot, and he acted like 2% fuel dilution is common for 6.0L Powerstrokes, but not 5.5. And while Ford claims that up to 8% dilution is okay (According to the lab) but he finds that 8% is obviously very bad news.

So did I do this idling the engine a lot? He says that this amount of fuel brings the oil down to around 10W-30. Do I have a bad injector?

The other thing is there was some silicon, but when he asked me if I used silicone sealant for the oil filter, I had no clue (I have never changed it). He acted like I should check the air filter, too, but it was new 6,000 miles ago, I believe.

He said the wear looks good, but maybe the fuel diluted signs of engine wear!
Ive been over this before, oil tests are good for one thing, scaring the hell out of owners. An engine runs on fuel, it will naturally be in the oil along with everything from umpa loompas to flying monkeys! It is an internal combustion engine. When you need to start getting worried is when you can actually tell something is wrong with the way it runs or acts! Trust me you are ok! Let the storm of crap start coming from our oil sponser!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroketech View Post
Ive been over this before, oil tests are good for one thing, scaring the hell out of owners. An engine runs on fuel, it will naturally be in the oil along with everything from umpa loompas to flying monkeys! It is an internal combustion engine. When you need to start getting worried is when you can actually tell something is wrong with the way it runs or acts! Trust me you are ok! Let the storm of crap start coming from our oil sponser!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Yah, I read another member that was freaking cause of a high fuel content -- but it came down to he drives the truck short distances quite often and it doesn't completely warm up

Also, 6K miles might be too long of an interval and it all depends on how you took the sample...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.